How can I solve challenging geometry problems with the help of key theorems?

• Thread starter uart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, The conversation is about a particular type of geometry question that is giving the speaker trouble. They have uploaded an example and are seeking help in solving it. They mention the concept of similar triangles and how it relates to the problem. Another person confirms their hunch about a property of triangles inscribed on a circle and provides a graphic to illustrate it. The speaker then mentions how this new information helps them in solving similar problems. They summarize this by stating that the conversation has helped them greatly in solving these types of problems.
uart
Science Advisor
Hi all. I'm looking at some old Maths exam papers at the moment and there is one particular type of question that has me stumped. They look just like basic geometry questions of the type I can normally do, but I think I'm missing something in these particular problems as I'm getting stuck.

I've uploaded an example of the type under consideration and would really appreciate a hand getting started with it. Ideally if someone could just explain how to get the answer in part (i) I'd like to see if I can take it from there.

Thanks.

Attachments

• q6b.gif
    q6b.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 504
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've done so far.

Two triangles are 'similar' if their corresponding angles are equal and corresponding line segments proportional.

Does that help?

so far I got ATF = ATE (common angle)
AT = AT (common side)
AFE = FAT + FTA (Exterior Angle Theorem)
I am not quite shure where to go from now. I hope this helps.

pnaj said:
Show us what you've done so far.

Two triangles are 'similar' if their corresponding angles are equal and corresponding line segments proportional.

Does that help?

Yeah I'm ok with the stuff regarding similar triangles, corresponding angles, alternate angles, tangents and so on. I used all the stuff I know but kept coming up just short of a solution, like there was one piece of info or property that I wasn't using.

The point I got stuck at was this. I was trying to prove that angles FAT = FEA, that would get me part(i) ok. But after hitting it with everything I knew the closest that I could get was FAT + FTB = FEA + EAF.

I knew that if I could somehow prove that FTB = EAF then I'd have it, but I couldn't seem to do it and suspected I was missing something.

I'm thinking that there must be some special property of a triangle that is inscribed upon a circle that I don't know about but need to use. I've got a hunch that I've just thought of, maybe someone can confirm that this is indeed a property of such a triangle.

Hunch : If the two vertices of a triangle are fixed points on a circle, and the third vertex of the triangle is free to move upon the circle, then the angle subtended by the moving vertex is a constant (so long as it stays on the circle and doesn't cross either of the two fixed vertices).

Is the above a fact?

Hi uart,

Sorry for the short reply ... I'll have a proper look later.

I had the attached gif from a previous post on a similar (no pun intended) problem.

This shows the 'hunch' you had is good.

As I say, I'll have a proper look later.

Paul.

Attachments

• equal_angles.gif
    equal_angles.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 477
Thanks pnaj, your graphic describes exactly what I was thinking of. Now I'll have to try and find a proof for it.

BTW, the one above result also leads me directly to two other results that also help in some of these problems. These are :

1. The two opposing triangles produced by two intersecting cords on a circle are similar.

2. The sum of opposite angles in a quadrilateral inscribed on a circle is 180 degrees.

Anyway, together those results greatly help me in this and some similar problems that I previously couldn't do. :)

Last edited:

FAQ: How can I solve challenging geometry problems with the help of key theorems?

1. What is Geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and properties of objects in space.

2. Why is Geometry important?

Geometry is important because it helps us understand and describe the world around us. It is used in many fields such as architecture, engineering, art, and physics.

3. How can I improve my Geometry problem-solving skills?

To improve your Geometry problem-solving skills, you should practice regularly and understand the fundamental concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources and practice problems.

4. What are some common challenges in solving Geometry problems?

Some common challenges in solving Geometry problems include understanding and applying the appropriate formulas, visualizing the problem, and identifying the correct approach to solving the problem.

5. How can I check if my Geometry solution is correct?

You can check if your Geometry solution is correct by using various methods such as re-solving the problem, checking your work step-by-step, or using online calculators and tools. It is also helpful to ask for feedback from a teacher or tutor.

Back