What shape is the ecliptic as seen from Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a model of the ecliptic and horizon, with the suggestion of using a CD-sized shape for the horizon and a circular shape for the ecliptic. The speaker also mentions wanting the ecliptic to be as close as possible to the horizon and facing geometry challenges with the current design.
Pjpic
I want to build a model of how the ecliptic interacts with the horizon. The horizon appears to be a flat circle, so I thought I'd use a CD sized shape for that. What shape would I use for the ecliptic, and how large relative to the CD? I would like it to be as close as possible to the my horizon at all times of the day. I'm at 45 degrees lat.

I tried with a circular ecliptic just a little larger that the horizon, but when I rotated the part that repented the ecliptic, it seem to hit the horizontal piece (the CD I'm using as the horizon).

I thought this might be a geometry question of some type.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The ecliptic, as seen from the center of the CD, is also a circle. The size does not matter, if you want to move it around making the circle larger than the CD is advisable.

1. What is the ecliptic?

The ecliptic is the apparent path of the sun in the sky as seen from Earth. It is caused by the Earth's orbit around the sun and is tilted at an angle of approximately 23.5 degrees.

2. Is the ecliptic a perfect circle?

No, the ecliptic is not a perfect circle. It is an ellipse, which is a slightly flattened circle. This is due to the Earth's orbit being slightly elliptical rather than a perfect circle.

3. Can we see the entire ecliptic from Earth?

Yes, we can see the entire ecliptic from Earth. As the Earth revolves around the sun, we are able to see different portions of the ecliptic at different times of the year.

4. Is the ecliptic the same for all planets?

No, the ecliptic is not the same for all planets. Each planet has its own orbit and therefore its own ecliptic. However, all the planets in our solar system are roughly in the same plane, so their ecliptics are not drastically different.

5. Does the shape of the ecliptic change over time?

Yes, the shape of the ecliptic does change over time. This is due to the slight changes in the Earth's tilt and orbit over long periods of time, causing the ecliptic to shift slightly. However, these changes are very small and not noticeable in our lifetimes.