How does the renormalization factor affect the propagator?

• Thread starter RedX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propagator
In summary, Kaku's book discusses the self-energy in a \phi^4 scalar theory and how it can be expanded in a Taylor series. The full propagator is then defined using the bare mass and self-energy terms. Kaku introduces a factor, Z_\phi, in both the numerator and denominator of the propagator, which can be absorbed by bare constants. However, to fully renormalize the expression, Z_\phi must also be factored out of the self-energy term, resulting in a renormalized propagator. This extra step is necessary for higher-order loop calculations.
RedX
In Kaku's book, the self-energy in a [tex]\phi^4[/tex] scalar theory is expanded in a Taylor series as:

[tex]\Sigma(p^2)=\Sigma (m^2)+\Sigma'(m^2)(p^2-m^2)+\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2) [/tex]

where [tex]\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2) [/tex] is finite and m is arbitrary (but finite).

The full propagator is then:

[tex]i\Delta(p)=\frac{i}{p^2-m_{0}^2-\Sigma (m^2)-\Sigma'(m^2)(p^2-m^2)-\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2)+i\epsilon} [/tex]

where m0 is the bare mass that's in the original Lagrangian. If we define [tex]m_{0}^2+\Sigma(m^2)=m^2 [/tex], i.e., the infinite bare mass cancels a divergence in a self-energy term to give something finite, then:

[tex]i\Delta(p)=\frac{i}{(1-\Sigma'(m^2))(p^2-m^2)-\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2)+i\epsilon} [/tex]

Here's what I don't understand. Kaku now factors out a [tex] Z_\phi=\frac{1}{1-\Sigma'(m^2)} [/tex] to get:

[tex] i\Delta(p)=\frac{iZ_\phi}{(p^2-m^2)-\Sigma_{1}(p^2)+i\epsilon}[/tex]

where [tex]\Sigma_{1}(p^2) =Z_\phi\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2)[/tex]

The [tex]Z_\phi[/tex] in the numerator of the propagator can be absorbed by bare constants, but I'm not sure how the [tex]Z_\phi[/tex] in the denominator (through [tex]\Sigma_1(p^2) [/tex]) can be gotten rid of.

Kaku defines the renormalized propagator [tex]\tilde{\Delta}(p)[/tex] as:

[tex]\Delta(p)=Z_\phi \tilde{\Delta}(p) [/tex]

which gets rid of [tex]Z_\phi[/tex] in the numerator, but not the denominator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think I got it. With this expression:

[tex]
i\Delta(p)=\frac{iZ_\phi}{(p^2-m^2)-Z_\phi\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2)+i\epsilon}
[/tex]

you don't renormalize by just absorbing the [tex]Z_\phi[/tex] in the numerator into bare constants. You first calculate [tex]Z_\phi[/tex]=(1+[tex]\alpha[/tex]*infinity+[tex]\alpha^2[/tex]*infinity^2+...) [where infinity represents some regulated infinity like [tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon} [/tex] in dimensional regularization, and [tex]\alpha [/tex] is a bare constant) by calculating [tex]\Sigma'(0) [/tex] using Feynman diagrams, and using the master formula: [tex]Z_\phi=\frac{1}{1-\Sigma'(m^2)} [/tex].

We know that [tex]\Sigma'(m^2) [/tex] is infinity, but we do the insane idea that [tex]\alpha*infinity [/tex] is actually small, so instead of [tex]Z_\phi [/tex] being small because it has infinity in the denominator, [tex]Z_\phi=\frac{1}{1-\Sigma'(m^2)}=1+\Sigma'(m^2)}+... [/tex]

because [tex]\Sigma'(m^2)[/tex]=[tex]\alpha[/tex]*infinity+[tex]\alpha^2[/tex]*infinity^2+... and the RHS is small by the logic above.

Anyways, that's how you get:

[tex]Z_\phi[/tex]=(1+[tex]\alpha[/tex]*infinity+[tex]\alpha^2[/tex]*infinity^2+...)

So we had the original expression:

[tex]

i\Delta(p)=\frac{iZ_\phi}{(p^2-m^2)-Z_\phi\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2)+i\epsilon}

[/tex]

but now expand the Z in the denominator:

[tex] i\Delta(p)=\frac{iZ_\phi}{(p^2-m^2)-(1+\alpha*infinity+\alpha^2*infinity^2+...)\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2)+i\epsilon}[/tex]

But now the infinity terms in the denominator are really small since they are multiplied by alpha:

[tex] i\Delta(p)=\frac{iZ_\phi[1+(\alpha*infinity+\alpha^2*infinity^2+...)/(p^2-m^2-\tilde_{\Sigma}(p^2))+...]}{p^2-m^2-\tilde_{\Sigma(p^2)}+i\epsilon}[/tex]

So now we get something that is multiplicatively renormalizeable, only instead of only Z being just absorbed into the bare constants, the entire numerator is absorbed.

I suspect that 1-loop calculations are insensitive to this extra step, but when calculating higher-order loops, the extra term in the numerator must be considered.

What is renormalization in the context of propagators?

Renormalization is a mathematical procedure used to remove infinities from physical quantities, such as propagators, in quantum field theory. It allows for the calculation of meaningful and finite values for physical observables.

Why is renormalization necessary for propagators?

Renormalization is necessary for propagators because in quantum field theory, infinities arise due to the interaction between particles. These infinities can make it impossible to calculate meaningful values for physical observables, and renormalization allows us to remove them and obtain finite results.

How is the propagator renormalized?

The propagator is renormalized by subtracting the divergent parts of the integrals that arise in the calculation. This can be done using various techniques, such as dimensional regularization or momentum cutoffs.

What is the significance of renormalizing the propagator?

Renormalizing the propagator is significant because it allows us to make meaningful predictions about physical quantities in quantum field theory. Without renormalization, the infinities in the propagator would render calculations impossible and make it impossible to test and verify theoretical models.

Can renormalization be applied to other quantities besides the propagator?

Yes, renormalization can be applied to other quantities besides the propagator. It is a general technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities from physical observables and obtain finite, meaningful results. It can be applied to various quantities, such as coupling constants, mass, and charge.