What is the Range of y=x+1/x for 0<x≤1?

• Thread starter spoc21
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation y = x + \frac{1}{x} for 0 < x \leq 1. The person needs help with this problem and suggests a solution of y = 1 but is unsure if it is correct. The other person suggests finding the range of the function and using calculus if allowed. Otherwise, it is sufficient to explain that as x increases, y decreases in the given interval.
spoc21

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm having some trouble with the following problem:

Solve y = x+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] for 0 < x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

Homework Equations

y = x+[tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] for 0 < x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure on how to start. I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to this problem, but have had no luck. The only thing comes to mind is that y = [tex]\frac{x}{x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] = 1. This solution seems to trivial; I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll assume the question instead means find the range of the function for the domain 0<x<1.

Are you allowed to use calculus?

I would start by finding the limit of y as x approaches 0+ and find y when x=1. If you can't use calculus then it will probably suffice to just explain that as x increases in that interval, y is always decreasing. This is enough information to give the range.

Related to What is the Range of y=x+1/x for 0<x≤1?

1. What is the equation y=x+1/x?

The equation y=x+1/x is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between two variables, x and y. It states that the value of y is equal to the sum of x and 1 divided by x.

2. How do you solve the equation y=x+1/x?

To solve the equation y=x+1/x, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. This can be done by multiplying both sides by x and then rearranging the terms. The final solution for x will depend on the value of y.

3. What is the domain and range of the equation y=x+1/x?

The domain of the equation y=x+1/x is all values of x that are greater than 0 and less than or equal to 1, as specified in the given conditions. The range of the equation will depend on the value of x and can include all real numbers.

4. Can this equation be solved for values of x that are not between 0 and 1?

No, this equation can only be solved for values of x that satisfy the given conditions of 0

5. How is this equation relevant in scientific research?

The equation y=x+1/x can be used to model various phenomena in scientific research, such as population growth, enzyme kinetics, and heat transfer. It allows scientists to understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions or draw conclusions based on the values of x and y.