Why is there no constant magnetic dipole-dipole interaction?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of a magnetic-dipole-dipole interaction between two 1s-hydrogen atoms. The equation for potential energy is discussed, and it is noted that an electron in a hydrogen atom with arbitrary l has an electromagnetic dipole moment, suggesting that the term should not be zero. The idea of using perturbation theory to evaluate the first term energy correction is mentioned, but the speaker admits to being unsure about the correction. The conversation then shifts to discussing different states and their magnetic interactions, with the conclusion that the equation is possibly correct.
Gavroy
In my opinion, there should be a magnetic-dipole-dipole interaction between 2 1s-hydrogen atoms, but i could not find anything that confirms this.

first of all i discovered this equation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_dipole–dipole_interaction

the potential energy [tex]U = - \frac{ \mu_0 } {4 \pi r_{jk}^3 } \left( 3 (\bold{m}_j \cdot \bold{e}_{jk}) (\bold{m}_k \cdot \bold{e}_{jk}) - \bold{m}_j \cdot \bold{m}_k \right)[/tex]

but an electron in a hydrogen atom with arbitrary l has always a electro magnetic dipole moment(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_magnetic_dipole_moment#Example:_Hydrogen_atom )and therefore this whole term should therefore be different from zero?

so one could evaluate the first term energy correction by using pertubation theory and would probably get a result different from zero. but actually, i guess that somewhere i am completely wrong, cause i never heard anything of such a correction?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is l(l+1) for the 1S state?

oh, you are so right.:rofl:

but what is with the l=1 state? e.g. 2 hydrogen atoms in a 2p-state?

In principle, there is a magnetic interaction also for the 1S states due to the spin's magnetic moment. However, it is magnitudes smaller than the singlet-triplet splitting which is due to different symmetry of the orbital part of the molecular wavefunction.

ok, thank you,
so does this mean - or do you think- that this equation is correct?

1. Why is there no constant magnetic dipole-dipole interaction?

The absence of a constant magnetic dipole-dipole interaction is due to the nature of magnetic dipoles. Unlike electric dipoles, which have a constant strength and orientation, magnetic dipoles are constantly moving and changing direction. This makes it difficult for them to maintain a constant interaction with each other.

2. Is there any type of interaction between magnetic dipoles?

Yes, there is an interaction between magnetic dipoles, but it is not constant. The interaction between two magnetic dipoles is dependent on their relative positions and orientations. This means that the strength and direction of the interaction can vary, making it difficult to define a constant interaction.

3. Can a constant magnetic dipole-dipole interaction be created artificially?

No, a constant magnetic dipole-dipole interaction cannot be artificially created. As mentioned before, the nature of magnetic dipoles makes it difficult for them to maintain a constant interaction with each other. Even in highly controlled laboratory settings, it is not possible to create a constant interaction between magnetic dipoles.

4. Why is a constant magnetic dipole-dipole interaction important?

A constant magnetic dipole-dipole interaction is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic materials. However, the absence of a constant interaction does not make magnetic interactions any less significant. In fact, the constantly changing nature of magnetic dipoles allows for a wide range of interactions and behaviors in magnetic materials, making them useful in various applications.

5. Are there any other types of magnetic interactions besides dipole-dipole?

Yes, there are other types of magnetic interactions, such as dipole-quadrupole, dipole-octupole, and higher order interactions. These interactions involve the interaction between multiple magnetic dipoles of different orientations and strengths. However, dipole-dipole interaction is the most commonly studied and understood type of magnetic interaction.