[Help] Grade 12 University Prep Physics Design Project

In summary, the project is to build a boat that can move 1.0 meter using elastic or gravitational energy and then automatically shoot a projectile 2.0 meters perpendicular to its movement. The boat cannot touch the bottom of the pool and any solid projectile can be used. The deadline is a week from June 6th, 2011. The proposed solution involves using a propeller to move the boat and a mousetrap to fire the projectile, with an interconnected timing mechanism using string or a lubricated nut. The latest update involves using a string wrapped around a rod with a propeller to pull on a piece of wood triggering the mousetrap and firing the projectile. Help is appreciated.
dancekevin
1. The Project
I must build a boat that is able to propel itself via elastic or gravitational energy 1.0 metres. After it has moved 1.0m, it must automatically shoot a projectile 2.0m perpendicular to the movement.

2. Rules
The boat cannot touch the bottom of the 10 cm deep pool.
Any solid projectile may be used.
I have about a week as of June 6th, 2011.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking about a propeller to move the boat, and a mousetrap to fire the projectile. However, the two systems must be interconnected, obviously. That's the hard part, and I don't know whether a propeller would be the most efficient way of doing it.

Help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that a string could be used as a timing mechanism; as the propeller spins, the string gets pulled tighter (as it wraps around the axle.)

Another idea is a very well lubricated nut timing mechanism. Place a nut on the (threaded) axle, and don't allow it (the nut) to rotate. As the axle rotates, the nut will move along the axle.

You might also be able to use a string fastened to the shoreline as your timing mechanism.

Last edited:
I am now using a string as a mechanism. I am wrapping string around a rod with a propeller. As the propeller spins, it pulls on a piece of wood which triggers a mousetrap, which fires a projectile.

1. What is the purpose of the Grade 12 University Prep Physics Design Project?

The Grade 12 University Prep Physics Design Project is meant to challenge students to apply their knowledge of physics concepts and principles to design and build a practical solution to a real-world problem.

2. How is the Grade 12 University Prep Physics Design Project graded?

The project is typically graded based on several criteria, including the creativity and effectiveness of the design, the accuracy of calculations and measurements, and the overall presentation and documentation of the project.

3. Do I have to work in a group for the Grade 12 University Prep Physics Design Project?

It depends on the specific requirements set by your teacher or school. Some projects may be completed individually, while others may require students to work in groups. The purpose of group work is to encourage collaboration and teamwork skills, which are important in the field of science.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in the Grade 12 University Prep Physics Design Project?

Some common mistakes include not thoroughly understanding the problem and not properly conducting experiments or collecting data. It is also important to carefully follow all safety protocols and to not rush through the project without proper planning and testing.

5. Can I choose any topic for the Grade 12 University Prep Physics Design Project?

Most schools or teachers will provide a list of approved topics for the project, but if you have a specific idea in mind, it is best to discuss it with your teacher first to ensure it aligns with the project requirements and can be feasibly completed within the given time frame.