Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

In summary, yesterday was hot and muggy with oppressive humidity, and today is looking like it will be just as bad.
heat wave broke, and it was in the lower 60s this morning vs. the mid 80s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yesterday was, I think, the hottest day of the year here. The temperature reached 28 C (82 F). It was also hazy due to smoke from Asian forest fires,

http://ckpg.com/news/19844-asian-smoke-clogs-prince-george.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
Yesterday was, I think, the hottest day of the year here. The temperature reached 28 C (82 F). It was also hazy due to smoke from Asian forest fires,

http://ckpg.com/news/19844-asian-smoke-clogs-prince-george.html .

Maybe send some of that heat here

Last edited by a moderator:
The heat wave has passed and it's cooled off here, back around normal temps. Yesterday was cloudy with a strong breeze. Temps in the 60's tonight. But the dog days of summer are still loomimg ahead.

Funny, we are past the heat wave as well. Still in mid 80s, but compared to the last week it is quite bearable.

Borek said:
Funny, we are past the heat wave as well. Still in mid 80s, but compared to the last week it is quite bearable.
Same here. We are in the 80s today, but it seems quite comfortable compared to the stretch we just went through. We never hit triple digits like some unfortunate folks had to bear, but 90s with RH above 60% is not fun, especially if you have respiratory problems.

Right back in the heat again. ~90 in the shade with nasty humidity. I had some work to do outside today and soon my shirt was soaked through with sweat. At least Duke got to find some shade under the apple trees...

Dang. Will the heat never stop? It was 108°F here yesterday.

dlgoff said:
Dang. Will the heat never stop? It was 108°F here yesterday.
We have another high pressure system stalled over us, we won't get relief until it breaks up.

Woohoo

Ottawa finally has a break for now (until Sunday). & some much needed rain in the forecast early next week.

But the heat 'n humidity comes back on Sunday 95f & 99f on Monday with the rain eewwww.

High 70s today with a light breeze and less humidity. I can take this.

For keeping up with the weather - an alternative.
http://weather.unisys.com/index.php

In additions to the NWS/NOAA website.

It was pleasantly mild yesterday, and today is supposed to be mild, as is the rest of the week.

NWS indicates that "Dangerous heat is impacting in the Heartland, and it is forecast to continue into the upcoming workweek. Heat Advisories and Excessive Heat Warnings have been issued for much of the Central United States. The same area is experiencing one of the worst droughts on record, and no relief is in sight." Apparently 77% of corn production and 73% of soybean production have been adversely impacted. This would mean higher food prices later this year and next year.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/Drought/

We've had the opposite problem in the UK - record-breaking rainfall and below-average temperatures, due to a southerly kink in the jet stream being stuck over us.

However, the jet stream is now on its way back to its normal summer location, and today it has finally stopped raining and the sun has come out. So far it's not exactly hot, but it's quite comfortable (around 70F, 21C) and expected to get warmer over the next few days.

We can't win out here in the midwest, if it's not damaging ice storms/blizzrds in the winter, it's either supercell storms with baseball size hail and tornadoes, or heat and drought in the summer. The weather is nice about 2 weeks a year.

Evo said:
We can't win out here in the midwest, if it's not damaging ice storms/blizzrds in the winter, it's either supercell storms with baseball size hail and tornadoes, or heat and drought in the summer. The weather is nice about 2 weeks a year.
Sounds kind of like central Texas. The weather was nice for about two weeks - one week in the spring and one in the fall.

Come to The Netherlands Evo, we have beautiful weather today (finally). 25C (78F) sunny, a little wind. Winters are mild. Very few thunderstorms. No tornadoes. Mild winters, usually.

Brutal out there today. The temperature is over 85 in the shade, with RH in the mid-70s. You can sweat, but it won't evaporate.

turbo said:
Brutal out there today. The temperature is over 85 in the shade, with RH in the mid-70s. You can sweat, but it won't evaporate.

Welcome to Kansas. :grumpy:

We've gone from near, not-quite drought to severe thundershowers (and a tornado warning to the north of us). There are trees and parts of trees down in our area. Power is out in some areas - again.

Update: This morning I found broken branches on the maple tree. The tops of two pine trees were in the neighbor's back yard and driveway. I'm hoping it didn't land on his car.

Last edited:
Not so bad here today if you can breathe. The humidity is oppressive, though the temperature has subsided. By the time that we got home from visiting Max (his gay doggie-friend) we were both ready to jump into the AC house.

It's cooler, but humid. We had more thunderstorms today.

I took off the top 10+ feet of a couple dying pine trees. The second one was actually 15+ feet and about 8'' dia where I cut and about 4'' at 15 ft. One of the branches came down on my left arm while the piece of tree was falling vertically from where I had cut it (I had to pry it off the remaining trunk since it was leaning against another tree). Fortunately, my arm didn't break, but it only got a painful bruise and a hard knot. :biggrin:

It's never going to end here. The forecast high for tomorrow is 105°F. :cry:

dlgoff said:
O, Noes! Not good.

dlgoff said:
They were close. It's 107°F with a heat index of 110°F. It may get hotter before the sun goes down. :bugeye:

I'm sweating when I walk outside. It's so so hot.

Be grateful if you have AC... I live in a place with no AC. It's regularly 96 to a little over 100F INSIDE. Needless to say... I spend most days in the hot season living in the library or sitting outside in the shade!

I need AC or I can't breathe. The temps here are in the high 80s or low 90s every day, with humidity that you can cut with a knife. I feel very sad for the people in triple-digits and can only hope that the humidity is low enough to allow "normal" breathing. Duke gets his "business" done pretty quickly on our walks, and does not hesitate to get back into the house. We go out very early or late in the day in an attempt to escape the swelter.

Just finished checking out PC, TV, Dish system, stereo... Lost all power to the West half of the house due to a direct lightning strike last night. Surge suppressors and breakers did their job, though I was fooled by a breaker that was tripped and didn't visibly go to the Off position. No power, so no PF last night or this morning until I got past that tricky breaker. No AC in this weather sucks.

turbo said:
Just finished checking out PC, TV, Dish system, stereo... Lost all power to the West half of the house due to a direct lightning strike last night. Surge suppressors and breakers did their job, though I was fooled by a breaker that was tripped and didn't visibly go to the Off position. No power, so no PF last night or this morning until I got past that tricky breaker. No AC in this weather sucks.
I was wondering where you were last night. Is everything back, or do you have damage?

Evo said:
I was wondering where you were last night. Is everything back, or do you have damage?
I think everything is OK. I may have to get some help and take down that TV mast. Broadcast TV is very poor here, anyway though it's nice to have an option when Dish goes out.

turbo said:
I may have to get some help and take down that TV mast.
What? You don't like?

Lightnings_sequence_2_animation.gif

Not when the base of that mast is about 8-10' from where I'm sitting, although on the outside of the wall.

We had some destructive T-storms last night in central and mid-coast Maine. Luckily, they passed around us. Ironically, one place that was hit pretty hard was an insurance company in a rural area. Trees and branches down...power lines down.

It may happen again tonight. We're up to 90 (and climbing) in the shade with dew points in the 70s. Very sticky. Duke is usually up for a walk anytime, but he's laying low today.

I have to water the garden every day, and judging from the level of the back-yard pond, the dug well might be running low. I'll have to set up a portable pump to water the garden using water from the pond. Luckily the only fish in there are dace and they are well-adapted to warm, poorly oxygenated water.