Can Long Range MRI Scans Be Performed Using Maser Technology?

• Thread starter fredreload
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mri Range
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using maser technology to perform MRI scans from a distance. However, it is noted that the magnetic field required for MRI is difficult to achieve at a distance and would require a large setup. Additionally, the use of a receiver coil is necessary for receiving the radio waves emitted from the subject, making it difficult to perform an MRI without a coil placed around the target.
fredreload
So I want to know if MRI scan can be performed from a distance away. As far as I know MRI consists of a magnetic field to realign the hydrogen atoms in our body. After this the radio frequency pulse is applied and this energy is absorbed by some of the protons. When the radio frequency pulse is turned off the atoms go into a relaxation state releasing the energy as EM radiation or radio waves. This radio wave is then received by the receiver coil and translate back to an image by MRI scanner.
My question is, is it possible to do this using maser to realign the atoms in our body from a distance, but then the radio frequency given off from the subject is too weak to be received by an antenna from a distance as explained in wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiofrequency_coil ). Is there a way to strengthen such a signal so it can be received far away. I know electromagnetic radiation consists of electric field and magnetic field and is made up of photons. So if there's a way to strengthen the electric field property and make the subject's hydrogen atom produce a stronger signal.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "far away"? I think the first issue would be the magnetic field. 2-5 Tesla field strength is possible within those devices (some experimental setups can reach even more), but achieving the same field strength 1m+ away requires a much more massive setup.

Is there a way to strengthen such a signal so it can be received far away.
The signal is better if you cool the object (not useful with living material), have a higher field strength (see above) or more sensitive receivers.

If the target is 1m+ away, how would you setup the device to generate a magnetic field that would reach the target? I think my understanding is that the electromagnetic field contains the magnetic field component. So by directing multiple maser, which generates electromagnetic waves, at the target, an electromagnetic field can be produced this way. The target should be living if I want to receive an image of its internal structure and MRI uses a coil receiver to measure the radio waves coming from the relaxation state of the atoms, so I want to know how you would go about receiving the radio wave if there is no receiver coil placed around the target.

You need two different sources of magnetic fields:
- a permanent magnetic field of the order of some Tesla. To get that field strength far away from the coils itself, you need very big coils, similar to the LHC detector magnets. See http://www.weltmaschine.de/sites/site_weltmaschine/content/e161/e163/e678/0511013_01-A4-at-144-dpi.jpg for example - the magnetic field is produced in the orange-striped pipes, and there is a human in the image to compare its size. The LHCb magnet is quite massive, too.
- quick radio frequency signals. They are not critical, you can send them from somewhere else

If your receiver coil is not around the target, only some fraction of the signal will reach it - this reduces image quality or requires more time for the same quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can say that using maser technology for long range MRI scans is currently not possible. While masers can generate a powerful electromagnetic field, they are not able to target and manipulate specific atoms in the human body. MRI scans require precise control over the magnetic field to align the hydrogen atoms and produce a clear image, which is not possible with masers.

Additionally, as you mentioned, the radio frequency signal produced by the subject's hydrogen atoms would be too weak to be received from a distance. While there are ways to amplify and strengthen signals, these techniques are not applicable to MRI scans as they can interfere with the delicate magnetic field needed for the scan.

In short, maser technology is not suitable for performing MRI scans. The current technology used in MRI machines is able to produce high-quality images while still being safe for patients. Scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies, so it is possible that in the future, masers or other technologies may be used in MRI scans. But as of now, traditional MRI machines are the most effective and safe method for performing these scans.

1. Can maser technology be used for long-range MRI scans?

Yes, maser technology can be used for long-range MRI scans. Maser, or microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, is a type of technology that amplifies microwave signals and can be used to produce high-resolution images for medical imaging.

2. How does maser technology differ from traditional MRI technology?

Maser technology differs from traditional MRI technology in that it uses microwaves instead of radio frequency waves to produce images. This allows for longer range imaging and potentially higher resolution images.

3. Are there any limitations to using maser technology for MRI scans?

As with any technology, there are limitations to using maser for MRI scans. These limitations include the need for specialized equipment and expertise, as well as potential safety concerns due to the use of microwaves.

4. What are the potential benefits of using maser technology for long-range MRI scans?

There are several potential benefits of using maser technology for long-range MRI scans. These include the ability to perform scans at longer distances and potentially in real-time, as well as the potential for higher resolution images and reduced costs compared to traditional MRI technology.

5. Is maser technology currently being used for MRI scans?

While maser technology is still in the early stages of development, there have been successful demonstrations of using masers for medical imaging, including MRI scans. More research and development is needed, but maser technology shows promise for future use in medical imaging.