How to explain the Quantum Mechanics/Math of the stages of MRI imaging

In summary, B0 is a static magnetic field that aligns protons in the body and causes them to precess at the Larmor frequency. RF coils are used to perturb these protons with magnetic field B1, causing resonance. The B1 field is pulsed at a frequency that maximizes the probability of the protons transitioning to a new eigenstate. Spatial information in MRI images is obtained using gradient coils, which vary the Larmor frequency and select specific image slices. The inverse Fast Fourier Transform is used to calculate the proton density in space, giving the spatial information of the image.
kbansal
Homework Statement
So my professor in my "physics of medical imaging for engineers" class has given us the option for extra credit if we do our own research and describe the underlying quantum mechanics and math behind the various stages of MRI imaging and contrast them with the less detailed explanations we have been given in class. I've attached what I've written so far below.
I am an engineer, not a physicist, but I figured I'd give it a shot after reading some textbooks and other physics resources online.

After looking around for a while this is the explanation I've come up with so far. I have a feeling it's not really correct (or phrased correctly), but I would really like to know if I'm on the right track. Because I have no other way of getting this checked. I'm probably going to just not do the extra credit if my explanation is really wrong. I feel like the information I'm giving isn't really what he's asking for and will just make me look really dumb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The last paragraph is just over the signal processing so you don't need to read that if you don't want. In theory I'm supposed to understand that well already lol.
Relevant Equations
{\displaystyle {\hat {H}}=-\mathbf {m} \mathbf {B_{0}} =-{\tfrac {\hbar }{2}}\gamma \sigma _{z}\mathbf {B_{0}} =-{\tfrac {\hbar }{2}}\omega _{0}{\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{bmatrix}}}

{\displaystyle {\hat {H}}=-\mathbf {m} \mathbf {B_{0}} =-{\tfrac {\hbar }{2}}\gamma \sigma _{z}\mathbf {B_{0}} =-{\tfrac {\hbar }{2}}\omega _{0}{\begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{bmatrix}}}

{\displaystyle P_{12}={\frac {|\omega _{1}^{2}|}{|\Delta \omega ^{2}+\omega _{1}^{2}|}}\sin ^{2}[{\sqrt {\omega ^{2}+\Delta \omega ^{2}}}t/2]}
"B0 is a static magnetic field (produced by a superconducting magnet) that initially causes the protons in the body to align with the field and precess at the larmor frequency along the z axis .

From a mathematical perspective this precession around the B0 axis occurs due to the time evolution operator (which in this case is found by solving the time dependent Schrodinger equation using the Hamiltonian based on the magnetic moment of a ½ spin particle) being applied to the spin state of the proton.

From a general perspective, RF coils are used to perturb these precessing protons periodically with magnetic field B1 and cause resonance when the energy of the pulse is equal to the of the larmor frequency at that slice. The RF pulse causes the protons to go from aligning along the Z axis to the transverse plane. In order for the proton to return back to equilibrium along the z axis a radio wave (at the same energy of the larmor frequency) must be emitted.

From a mathematical perspective The B1 magnetic field is pulsed from RF coils at a frequency which gives the maximum probability that the eigenstate of the original unperturbed Hamiltonian (which is based on the larmor frequency and B0) will transition to an eigenstate of a new two state Hamiltonian after perturbation. The probability that a transition will occur between the states of the 2 state system at a given frequency is described by the Rabi oscillation equation for particles of ½ spin. Resonance (the emission of a radio wave from protons going back to equilibrium with B0) only occurs when B1 oscillates at the same rate/energy as the dipoles precessing due to B0.

The spatial information of the MRI image is gotten by using gradient coils along x,y, and z. These gradients select the image slice by varying the larmor frequency at each position and making it depend on space rather than having a uniform larmor frequency across the body. So only protons that are part of the slice are what resonate. The initial spatial information is formalized in K space as Kx and Ky of the signal. Kx and Ky, along with the coordinates x and y are used in the inverse Fast Fourier Transform with respect to signal S(Kx, Ky). This inverse FFT is proportional to the proton density in space, which is what gives the spatial information. The FFT uses a discrete Fourier transform because all of the data for the MRI signal is a fully known discrete set of values. The resonance signal of each slice is detected by the RF coils, and the frequency that the RF coils send to the precessing protons changes with each slice depending on how the gradient modifies the larmor frequency."

Physics news on Phys.org
kbansal said:
The B1 magnetic field is pulsed from RF coils at a frequency which gives the maximum probability that the eigenstate of the original unperturbed Hamiltonian (which is based on the larmor frequency and B0)

This is kind of redundant info because the Larmor frequency ##\omega## depends linearly on the magnitude of the ##B_0##, I.e.,

$$\omega = |γ|\cdot B_0$$

##γ## is the gyromagnetic ratio and I think that is what you meant. ##\omega## is the same for B1 and B0.

The B1 field has both electric and magnetic components and B1 is mediated by photons of energy ##\hbar\omega##, where omega is the angular frequency which gives the maximum probability that the eigenstate of the original unperturbed Hamiltonian will transition to the perturbed eigenstate.

I suggest talking about the Lie algebra of the 3 Pauli matrices (which are the spin observables) and its consequence on the uncertainty principle of the spin angular momentum. Dive into the mathematics discussed in @fresh_42's article (cite the author) and your instructor will probably become the student ;)

@PeroK and several others could teach a class for the QM of spin 1/2 particles, and they taught me a lot. Maybe some of them will comment on this thread (but hopefully I did not make an error in my explanation well).

Last edited:
Thanks, my main concern was redundancy and stuff that isn't correct/missing the point. I have to turn it in today so I'm just going to get rid of the redundant part you mentioned. I don't think I'll be able to understand the lie algebra, especially not in a short time frame. I hope it's not missing the point.

As far as turning my professor into the student, it's possible, but he has his PhD specializing in particle physics so it's unlikely lol. The engineering department decided it would be better to get a physics expert to teach this class rather than an engineer. That's why I'm worried to even turn this in, because I don't think I'll be able to get any wrong info past him.

kbansal said:
Thanks, my main concern was redundancy and stuff that isn't correct/missing the point. I have to turn it in today so I'm just going to get rid of the redundant part you mentioned. I don't think I'll be able to understand the lie algebra, especially not in a short time frame. I hope it's not missing the point.

As far as turning my professor into the student, it's possible, but he has his PhD specializing in particle physics so it's unlikely lol. The engineering department decided it would be better to get a physics expert to teach this class rather than an engineer. That's why I'm worried to even turn this in, because I don't think I'll be able to get any wrong info past him.
It would have been good to fix your Latex in the original post. It looks like you haven't delimited it properly.

Ok I'll try, but does the rest of my explanation make sense? The homework is due at 1pm today so I need to figure this out kinda quickly at this point. I wasn't planning on actually putting the equations in my homework because he didn't ask, and they would be hard to copy.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics and how does it relate to MRI imaging?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is the foundation of MRI imaging, as it explains the behavior of the protons in the body when exposed to a strong magnetic field.

2. How does the magnetic field in an MRI machine work?

The magnetic field in an MRI machine is created by powerful electromagnets. These magnets align the protons in the body, which allows for the imaging process to take place.

3. What is the role of mathematics in MRI imaging?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in MRI imaging, as it is used to analyze the data collected from the protons in the body. Complex mathematical algorithms are used to convert the signals from the protons into detailed images.

4. How do the different stages of MRI imaging work?

The first stage of MRI imaging is the excitation stage, where the protons in the body are aligned by the magnetic field. The second stage is the relaxation stage, where the protons return to their original state and emit signals. These signals are then measured and converted into images through mathematical calculations.

5. How does MRI imaging differ from other medical imaging techniques?

MRI imaging differs from other techniques, such as X-rays and CT scans, as it does not use ionizing radiation. Instead, it uses a strong magnetic field and radio waves to produce images. This makes it a safer option for patients, especially for repeated imaging.