Solving the Differential Equation

In summary, we are given a differential equation and the steps to solve it are shown. However, the solution for y cannot be solved explicitly and the solution given lacks an arbitrary constant.
Manni
I'm given the differential dy/dx = x*y*sinx / (y+1) and I need to find its solution.

I apply the following steps,

(y+1)/y*dy = x*sinx*dx

1 + 1/y*dy = x*sinx*dx

∫ 1 + 1/y*dy = ∫ x*sinx*dx

...skipping a few steps for convenience I get the equation

y + lny = -x*cosx + sinx

My problem now is that I don't know how do I solve for y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Manni said:
I'm given the differential dy/dx = x*y*sinx / (y+1) and I need to find its solution.

I apply the following steps,

(y+1)/y*dy = x*sinx*dx

1 + 1/y*dy = x*sinx*dx

∫ 1 + 1/y*dy = ∫ x*sinx*dx

...skipping a few steps for convenience I get the equation

y + lny = -x*cosx + sinx

My problem now is that I don't know how do I solve for y.

You can't solve nicely for y. That's often the case. But you've gotten rid of the derivatives, that should be enough. I do miss seeing an arbitrary constant (a '+C') somewhere in your solution.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that contains derivatives of an unknown function. It describes the relationship between the function and its derivatives, and is commonly used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically, by using integration and other mathematical techniques, or numerically, by using computational methods.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs), which involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear differential equations, as well as first-order and higher-order equations.

4. What are the applications of solving differential equations?

Solving differential equations has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems in the real world, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the spread of diseases.

5. What are the challenges of solving differential equations?

Solving differential equations can be a complex and challenging task, as it often involves advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, some equations may not have a closed-form solution, requiring numerical methods to approximate the solution. It also requires careful consideration and interpretation of the results to ensure they are meaningful and accurate.