Mind vs Reality: What is the Technical Term?

• Thread starter jimmy1200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind Term
In summary: he was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his 30s and spent the rest of his life in and out of mental hospitals.
jimmy1200
is there a technical term for when the mind cannot distinguish between what is real, and what is not. I've read many stories of people doing mental training for basketball, vs those who did know training, and those who did actual physical training, and those who did the mental training, actually showed great improvement in their skills, amongst other stories. i was wondering what the technical term for this is called, if there is one.

thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
If we can sort out what you are asking, maybe there is an answer.

Distinguishing real vs not real: do you mean delusion or just imagining yourself somewhere else?

A lot of high end athletes use taped replays of themselves in action, with special reflectors on arms and joints. They try to correct inefficiencies of motion or in play. Mentally running along with the replays, seeing where they have problems. And correcting them over and over in their mind first. Then trying it in the real world. This works very well. Bill Russell - a basketball great - worked intensely on the geometry of position and play in his mind until he got it exactly right. And that was 25? years ago.
It is used in golf, tennis, baseball, basketball, and long distance running.

Am I guessing what you want?

When I'm going into a serious pool tournament, or a ball game in my younger days, I play a few games in my head to practice my stance and stroke and aim.
Sports aside, I still do most of my design work in my head, be it for a Hallowe'en costume or a machine gun. When it starts to get finalized is when I commit to paper or computer.
With the pool, though, it really works. Although the game that I end up in doesn't follow the one that I imagined, that 'virtual practice' really pays off.
If you're looking for a technical term, though, as your original question implies... you're nuts.

The way the title is worded, you're describing halucination, but that's not what you meant. It's just visualization.

Yes, as Russ has said, it's called Visualization. It's a technique recommended for almost everything (piano recital, performing a 10 meter dive etc).

What you mean by the brain not being able to distinguish reality and products of imagination, is actually called 'Schizophrenia'. It's when you withdraw from reality.

If you want a typical famous case, check John Forbes Nash, a brilliant mathematician and groundbreaking economist..

1. What is the technical definition of "mind"?

The mind refers to the collection of cognitive processes and functions within the brain that allow us to think, reason, perceive, and make decisions.

2. How is "reality" defined in this context?

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, independent of our thoughts or perceptions. It is the external world and everything that exists within it.

3. Can the mind and reality be separated?

This is a complex question and is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some argue that the mind and reality are inseparable, as our perceptions and thoughts shape our understanding of reality. Others believe that there is an objective reality that exists outside of our minds.

4. What is the relationship between the mind and reality?

The relationship between the mind and reality is often seen as a two-way interaction. Our perceptions and thoughts can influence how we perceive reality, but reality can also shape and impact our thoughts and perceptions.

5. How does science study the relationship between mind and reality?

Scientists use various methods such as experiments, observations, and brain imaging techniques to study the relationship between the mind and reality. They also use theories and models to understand how the mind and reality interact.