Solving Trimethylacetic Acid Concentration Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of monoprotic acids and how to determine the pKa of Trimethylacetic acid using given data. It also addresses how to calculate the volume of 0.2M KOH needed to neutralize a solution of trimethylacetic acid. The key formulas used are Ka= [H+][A-]/[HA] and [H+]=10^-7+[A-].
dcl
Heya's
Having some problems with the following question:

Trimethylacetic acid [tex]C_4 H_{11} COOH[/tex]is a weak monoprotic acid. When 0.0010 mol of Trimethylacetic acid was dissolved in 100mL of water, the concentration of trimethylacetic ion was found to be [tex]3.0 \times 10^{ - 4} mol.L^{ - 1} [/tex]

a) What is monoprotic acid?
An Acid that donates only one proton.

b) Use the above data to work out [tex]pK_a [/tex] for Trimethylacetic acid.
now pKa = -log[Ka] think? How would I go about working Ka out?

c) What volume of 0.2M KOH would be required to neutralise this solution of trimethylacetic acid?
For this I would just work out how many moles are in the 100mL solution, and then use that to work out how how much volume of KOH I would need to add.
However I'm unsure how to work out how many mols are in the 100mL solution, It's an easy units conversion problem I am sure, but I suck at it :(

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look at the concentration of the ion.

If there's that much in the solution that exists as an ion, an equal amount must exist as H+.

[tex]Ka= \frac {[H^+][A^-]} {[HA]}[/tex]

and

[tex] [H^+] = 10^{-7} + [A^-][/tex]

1. What is Trimethylacetic Acid (TMA)?

Trimethylacetic Acid (TMA) is a carboxylic acid with the chemical formula C5H10O2. It is a colorless and odorless liquid at room temperature and is commonly used as a solvent in organic synthesis.

2. Why is it important to determine the concentration of TMA?

Determining the concentration of TMA is important in various fields of science, such as chemistry and biochemistry. It can provide valuable information about the purity and composition of a substance, as well as its potential uses and reactions.

3. How do you solve for the concentration of TMA in a given solution?

The concentration of TMA can be determined through various methods, depending on the specific circumstances. One common method is titration, where a known concentration of a substance is added to the solution until a chemical reaction occurs, allowing for the calculation of the concentration of TMA.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of TMA concentration measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of TMA concentration measurements, including human error, instrument calibration, and the purity of the TMA sample. It is important to take these factors into consideration when conducting experiments and to use proper techniques and equipment for accurate results.

5. How is TMA concentration data used in scientific research?

TMA concentration data is used in various scientific research areas, such as drug development, environmental studies, and chemical synthesis. It can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of a substance, helping scientists to understand and manipulate its properties for different applications.