Integration by quadratures

In summary, the equations given are to be solved using integration by quadratures, a technique the speaker is not familiar with and cannot find a tutorial for. The speaker suggests differentiating the first equation and substituting the result in the second equation to solve for one variable, and then using that result to find the solution for the other variable.
Reid

Homework Statement

I cannot get my head around these equations...
[tex]\dot{x}(t)=-sin y(t)[/tex]

[tex]\dot{y}(t)=-\frac{cos x(t)}{sin x(t)} cos y(t).[/tex]

They are to be solved with integration by quadratures. :S But I am not at all familiar with that technique and I can't find any tutorial for it.

Since I have never heard about it before i can't make an attempt either! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Quadrature.html

I don't know what exactly you need, but I am guessing you differentiate your first equation wrt t and substitute the result in the second equation to get an equation in one variable which you solve, and then use that result to find the solution for the remaining variable.

What is integration by quadratures?

Integration by quadratures is a numerical method used to approximate the value of a definite integral. It involves dividing the integration interval into smaller subintervals and using a mathematical formula to approximate the area under the curve within each subinterval. The results from each subinterval are then summed to get an overall approximation of the integral.

When is integration by quadratures used?

Integration by quadratures is typically used when the function being integrated cannot be evaluated analytically or when the analytical evaluation is too complex. It is also useful when the integration interval is too large to be evaluated accurately using other numerical methods.

What are the advantages of integration by quadratures?

One of the main advantages of integration by quadratures is its versatility. It can be used to approximate a wide range of integrals, including those with irregular or non-polynomial functions. It is also relatively easy to implement and can provide accurate results with a small number of subintervals.

What are the limitations of integration by quadratures?

Integration by quadratures can be less accurate than other numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. It may also require a larger number of subintervals to achieve the desired level of accuracy, which can increase the computation time and complexity.

How do I choose the appropriate quadrature method?

The choice of quadrature method depends on the type of function being integrated and the desired level of accuracy. Some common quadrature methods include the midpoint rule, the trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. It is important to consider the properties of the function and the integration interval when selecting the appropriate method.