What's the Correct Way to Add Multiple Vectors Using Components in Physics?

In summary, the cyclist undergoes three successive displacements of 120m at N40E, 82m at S72E, and 195m at S35W. The answer is 102.7m at S24.9E, but the rider actually traveled 120.4m at S69.3W. The problem is that the rider is using the wrong units for the vectors - degrees instead of radians. When working out multiple vectors, it is important to break them down into components (x and y components for each vector) and then sum them up. However, the rider has gotten the wrong answer for this problem - 120.4m at S69.3W instead of 102.7m at S24.9
quis
hey, I've just started physics (yr 11&12 by distance education) and already stuck. So the very basic Question is:
When working out multiple vectors, I understand that it is necessary to break them down into components. (I've been taught to graph the x component and y component for each vector and then add all the x components, ad all the y components then R=square root of (x^2+y^2))
However I keep coming up with the wrong answer for this problem:
A cyclist undergoes three successive displacements of 120m at N40E followed by 82m at S72E and finally 195m at S35W. (all in degrees)
The answer is 102.7m at S24.9E
but I get 120.4m at S69.3W? What have I done wrong?.

Physics news on Phys.org
quis said:
hey, I've just started physics (yr 11&12 by distance education) and already stuck. So the very basic Question is:
When working out multiple vectors, I understand that it is necessary to break them down into components. (I've been taught to graph the x component and y component for each vector and then add all the x components, ad all the y components then R=square root of (x^2+y^2))
However I keep coming up with the wrong answer for this problem:
A cyclist undergoes three successive displacements of 120m at N40E followed by 82m at S72E and finally 195m at S35W. (all in degrees)
The answer is 102.7m at S24.9E
but I get 120.4m at S69.3W? What have I done wrong?.

We can't figure out what you did wrong if you don't show your work. Write out explicitly the x and y components that you summed up.

Zz.

Details of working

sure, sorry, new to this.
A cyclist undergoes three successive displacements of 120m at N40E followed by 82m at S72E and finally 195m at S35W.
Vetor::::::X component ::::::::::: Y Component
120m:::120 cos 40 = 91.9 ::::: 120 sin 40 = 77.13 (ie NE)
82m::::82 cos 72 = 23.3 :::::: 82 sin 72 = (-)77.98 (ie SE )
195m:::195 cos 35 =(-)159.7:: 195 sin 35 = (-)111.8 (ie SW)
R ::::::: =(-)44.5 ::::::::::::::::: = (-)112.65
R= square root of (44.5^2+112.65^2) = 121.1
angle=tan(-1)(112.65/44.5) = 68.4
(The answer in the back of the pamphlet is 102.7m at S24.9E)

quis said:
sure, sorry, new to this.
A cyclist undergoes three successive displacements of 120m at N40E followed by 82m at S72E and finally 195m at S35W.
Vetor::::::X component ::::::::::: Y Component
120m:::120 cos 40 = 91.9 ::::: 120 sin 40 = 77.13 (ie NE)
82m::::82 cos 72 = 23.3 :::::: 82 sin 72 = (-)77.98 (ie SE )
195m:::195 cos 35 =(-)159.7:: 195 sin 35 = (-)111.8 (ie SW)
R ::::::: =(-)44.5 ::::::::::::::::: = (-)112.65
R= square root of (44.5^2+112.65^2) = 121.1
angle=tan(-1)(112.65/44.5) = 68.4
(The answer in the back of the pamphlet is 102.7m at S24.9E)

Sorry, I forgot that I attempted this. That's what happens when you get old - you forget things.

Now, there is a problem at my end in understanding the notation being used. What does N-angle-E mean? To me, N40E seems to indicate that the direction is 40 degrees to the east of north.

The same with all the other directions given. If this is true, then it doesn't match the components you have written.

Zz.

Thanks for following up,
yeh it's the compass system, that is how it's written in my textbook.
so if that don't match the components I've written does that mean that I've got then the wrong way around, I mean using Cos and sine at the wrong times? please explain.

1. What is the purpose of adding multiple vectors?

The purpose of adding multiple vectors is to determine the resultant vector, which represents the overall displacement or motion of an object. This is important in physics and engineering calculations, as it helps to understand the overall movement of an object.

2. How do you add multiple vectors together?

To add multiple vectors, you first represent each vector as an arrow with a specific magnitude and direction. Then, you can use either the graphical or mathematical method to add the vectors. In the graphical method, you place the vectors head to tail and draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector to determine the resultant vector. In the mathematical method, you can use vector addition equations to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

3. Can you add vectors that are not in the same direction?

Yes, you can add vectors that are not in the same direction. This is because vectors have both magnitude and direction, and when adding them together, you are finding the overall magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

4. What is the difference between adding vectors and scalar quantities?

Adding vectors involves finding the resultant vector, which takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each vector being added. On the other hand, adding scalar quantities only involves finding the sum of the magnitudes. Vectors and scalar quantities are fundamentally different and cannot be added together.

5. Can you add an infinite number of vectors together?

No, you cannot add an infinite number of vectors together. The addition of vectors is a finite process and can only be done with a specific number of vectors. However, you can approximate the addition of an infinite number of vectors by taking the limit of the sum as the number of vectors approaches infinity.