Getting direction of force of two point charges on a third

In summary, the net force on the -10 nC charge in the figure is found to be approximately 4.3 x 10^-3 N, with an angle of approximately 17.45 degrees clockwise from the positive x-axis. However, after correcting for some sign and axis errors, the correct angle is found to be approximately 162.55 degrees clockwise from the positive x-axis.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

What is the direction of the force F on the -10 nC charge in the figure? Give your answer as an angle measured cw from the +x-axis.
Express your answer using two significant figures.
26.P39.jpg

Homework Equations

##F = k\frac{Qq}{r^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by getting the components of the net force. The force between the two negative charges will be ##F_1## and the one between the -10 and +15 charges will be ##F_2##.
##F_1 = <0, -y> \longrightarrow F_{1x} = k\frac{(5\times10^{-9})(10\times10^{-9})}{0.01^2}##
##F_1 = <0, -0.004495>##
##F_2 = <-x, y> \longrightarrow F_{2t} = k\frac{(15\times10^{-9})(10\times10^{-9})}{(0.03^2 + 0.01^2)}##
##\theta = \tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{3}) \longrightarrow F_2 = <-\cos(\theta)\bullet F_{2t}, \sin(\theta)\bullet F_{2t}>##
##F_t = <-0.0012793, -0.0040685>##
All of this math appears to be correct, because when I calculate the net force (##F_t = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \approx 4.3\times10^{-3}##) I get the right answer.
So, now I just need to find the angle, in degrees, clockwise from the positive x-axis, but whatever I'm doing appears to be wrong. Given these components, the vector should be in the third quadrant. So, I tried calculating the inverse tangent of the y over the x components of the total force (##\tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x}) \approx 17.45##°), and I should be getting the right angle (I've even drawn it out and checked multiple times) if I subtract this answer from 180°, giving 162.55°, which should be 160° to 2 significant figures. But this is incorrect. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by getting the components of the net force. The force between the two negative charges will be ##F_1## and the one between the -10 and +15 charges will be ##F_2##.
##F_1 = <-x, 0> \longrightarrow F_{1x} = k\frac{(5\times10^{-9})(10\times10^{-9})}{0.01^2}##
##F_1 = <-0.004495, 0>##
I haven't checked your entire calculation. But, does F1 point in the negative x direction?

TSny said:
I haven't checked your entire calculation. But, does F1 point in the negative x direction?
Yeah, I mixed up a lot of signs and axes in my OP, but it looks like I did so in my work as well - I had the x- and y-components for the final force switched up, hence why I got the right force magnitude but not direction. Thanks for pointing it out! That let me get the right answer (just had to switch the numbers I was putting in the arctan).

1. How do I determine the direction of force between two point charges on a third?

The direction of force between two point charges on a third can be determined by using the principle of superposition. This means that the total force on the third point charge is the vector sum of the individual forces exerted by the other two charges. You can use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of this total force.

2. Can the direction of force between two point charges on a third be attractive?

Yes, the direction of force between two point charges on a third can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the signs of the charges. If the two charges have opposite signs, the force between them will be attractive. If the two charges have the same sign, the force between them will be repulsive.

3. How does the distance between the two point charges affect the direction of force on the third?

The distance between the two point charges has a direct impact on the magnitude of the force exerted on the third point charge. As the distance between the two charges increases, the force on the third charge decreases. However, the direction of the force is not affected by the distance between the two charges.

4. What is the formula for calculating the direction of force between two point charges on a third?

The formula for calculating the direction of force between two point charges on a third is given by the Coulomb's Law. It states that the direction of force is along the line joining the two charges and is directed away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge.

5. Are there any other factors besides charge and distance that can affect the direction of force between two point charges on a third?

No, the direction of force between two point charges on a third is only affected by the charges and the distance between them. Other factors such as the medium between the charges or the size of the charges do not affect the direction of force.