Ant Control - Kendall Bioresearch

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of having ants in one wall of a house and possible solutions such as using a flame thrower, No Pest Strips, and an icepick. It also poses the question of how much mass dead insects would make in a year if they did not decay away, estimating it to be around 6,713,147,410 cm^3.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/thysop.htm

MIH had ants i have these things, they smothered one wall inside the house, why just one wall? they are a right pain as i have to keep all the windows shut when it is over 80f.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a flame thrower. :approve:

Do you have No Pest Strips in the UK? I keep one in my utility room{where the back door is}, it seems to do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068FKP6/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
It is easy to kill these things, it is just the speed they appear and the amount of dead they leave behind.

I suggest using an icepick. It creates no air current for them to react to, and you can simply slip the bodies off of the icepick and into the garbage can when you're done.

It makes me wonder how much mass dead insects would make a year if they did not decay away.

wolram said:
It makes me wonder how much mass dead insects would make a year if they did not decay away.

6,713,147,410 people

if 1 person kills 1 cm^3 of insects per year

I would say 6,713,147,410 cm^3 is least.

not much ...

1. How can I get rid of ants in my home?

There are a few ways to control ants in your home. You can use bait traps, which contain a toxic substance that the ants will take back to their colony and kill the queen. Another option is to use a spray or powder insecticide directly on the ants. Additionally, keeping your home clean and sealing any cracks or openings where ants may enter can help prevent infestations.

2. Are there any natural methods for controlling ants?

Yes, there are some natural methods for controlling ants. These include using essential oils such as peppermint or lemon, as ants are repelled by strong scents. You can also create a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water and spray it on ant trails and entry points. Another option is to sprinkle diatomaceous earth around areas where ants are present, as it is a natural insecticide.

3. What are some signs of an ant infestation?

Some signs of an ant infestation include seeing large numbers of ants in your home, finding ant trails or nests, and noticing small piles of discarded wings (if the ants are swarming). You may also find small holes or tunnels in wood structures, as some ants are known to nest in wood.

4. How can I prevent ants from coming back?

To prevent ants from coming back, you should address any sources of food or water that may be attracting them. This includes keeping your home clean and free of crumbs or spills, sealing food containers tightly, and fixing any plumbing leaks. You can also use barriers, such as caulk or petroleum jelly, to seal off entry points where ants may be getting into your home.

5. Do ants pose any health risks?

In general, ants do not pose significant health risks. However, some people may have allergic reactions to ant bites or stings, and some species of ants can carry diseases. It is important to keep ants out of your home and address any infestations promptly to avoid potential health concerns.