Recommendations for pop Physics books

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for "pop" Physics books for someone who wants a break from Math/Physics studying. They are specifically interested in books about E&M's history and scientists such as Maxwell and Faraday, but are also open to QM or Chemistry books. The expert suggests some options in their native language and provides links to other potential books on Amazon. They wish the person good luck and enjoyment with their readings.
DrummingAtom
Recommendations for "pop" Physics books

Just looking for something to break up the Math/Physics studying. I haven't read many pop Physics books so I'm a bit lost, from what I heard there are some bad ones out there. I don't want anything too technical, just something where I can learn about the scientists and the work.

I specifically want something with E&M's history and those guys. Maxwell, Faraday, etc.

Or if there's any QM or maybe even Chemistry books that are good too.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
for any suggestions!

I understand the importance of taking breaks from intense studying and exploring different aspects of our field. I would recommend starting with "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson. This book provides a fascinating look into the life of one of the most influential physicists in history and his groundbreaking theories in both relativity and quantum mechanics.

For a more historical perspective, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes is a highly acclaimed book that delves into the development of nuclear physics and the race to build the first atomic bomb.

If you are interested in learning about the history of electricity and magnetism, I would suggest "The Age of Edison: Electric Light and the Invention of Modern America" by Ernest Freeberg. This book not only covers the work of Maxwell and Faraday, but also the impact of their discoveries on society.

For a more general overview of physics, "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene is a great read. It explains complex concepts in a way that is accessible to non-scientists and provides a glimpse into the current state of physics research.

For quantum mechanics, "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality" by Manjit Kumar is a well-written and engaging book that explores the development of quantum theory and the debates between Einstein and Bohr.

Lastly, for a mix of physics and chemistry, "The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of Elements" by Sam Kean is a fun and informative read that covers the fascinating stories behind the elements on the periodic table.

I hope these recommendations provide a good balance of entertainment and education for your break from studying. Happy reading!

1. What are some good recommendations for pop physics books?

Some popular recommendations for pop physics books include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene.

2. Are there any pop physics books for beginners?

Yes, there are many pop physics books targeted towards beginners, such as "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson and "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli.

3. Are there any pop physics books that cover specific topics?

Yes, there are many pop physics books that focus on specific topics, such as "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene for cosmology, "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios for the physics of superheroes, and "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford for quantum physics.

4. Are there any pop physics books that are easy to understand?

Yes, there are many pop physics books that are written in a clear and accessible manner, such as "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow and "Reality Is Not What It Seems" by Carlo Rovelli.

5. Are there any pop physics books that have been adapted into movies or TV shows?

Yes, there are a few pop physics books that have been adapted into movies or TV shows, such as "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking (documentary), "The Theory of Everything" by Jane Hawking (movie), and "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan (TV show).