Purchasing Test Equipment for Electronics Enthusiast on a Budget

In summary: The person is considering whether to buy a multifunction PC platform from a company called Tinalab. They are worried about the price and whether it is a good purchase. They mention that modern scopes often come with a signal source, so they would also need a second generator. They also mention that work at the frequencies they mention is reliant on good construction practice. They mention that you can't just poke a bare wire into a press fit terminal and that you often have to solder up a proper board.
Odysseus
Back again to ask another question about test equipment. I'm very new at this so please bear with me. I'm trying to work through this https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521646456/?tag=pfamazon01-20. In order to do a lot of the exercises in the book I need access to an oscilloscope, function generator, counter and a tabletop multimeter. To name a few. As I'm sure yall know, that's a hefty investment in equipment, which I'm prepared to make, but I plan on doing more projects after this one and I want the stuff I buy now to be useful when I move on. My maximum budget is 3K.

So far the most appealing option I've come across is a multifunction pc platform: http://www.tinalab.com/English/tina...|utmctr=TINAlab ii&__utmv=-&__utmk=101751553". It appeals to me because has all of the equipment I need, is expandable and you combine into one program simulation and data collection. Plus the software and hardware together is well within my price range. There are a few hangups though, Rutledge recommends a 15 MHz function generator, TinaLab II only provides up to 4 MHz. Rutledge also recommends a 3A power supply, I'm not sure that TinaLab II can provide that as the power rating is stated in volts on the website.

To my understanding, PC based platforms are not popular with most electronics enthusiasts. Is this a bad purchase? If it is a good purchase, is there a workaround that would allow me to increase the frequency of the function generator? Should I just buy the individual equipment? I'd appreciate any advice yall can give me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is an amazing quantity of top notch test gear always going at ridiculous prices on the US Ebay.

For those of us on this side of the atlantic it is very frustrating to see for instance a scope not selling over there at $20, that would fetch over £100 here with fierce bidding.

The problem is transport costs which might be in excess of £150 for that scope.

So you are (I think) well placed to take advantage.

PC based instruments are really good these days and can even perform/display more than one function simultaneously, something a multimeter can't do.

For this reason you would be better off with a couple of (not too) cheap separate multimeters so that you can simultaneously measure say current and voltage or monitor the voltage in two places or whatever simultaneously.
Further it is no good having your multi voltage/capacitor/resitance etc meter hooked up monitoring some voltage when you want to measure the value of some component.

The power supply definitely needs to be separate from the measuring instruments -especially at 3 amps - you can do a lot of (expensive) damage very quickly if things go wrong with current at that level.

Modern scopes often come with a signal source, further a second generator is useful if you want to study the effect of combining waveforms. So get a second (cheap) generator if you go for the Tina.

Work at the frequencies you mention is reliant on good construction practice. Circuits will not behave as you expect with 'rats nests'. this also applies to connecting cables connectors and matching networks. You can't just poke a bare wire into a press fit terminal as you can get away with in audio work. You often have to solder up a proper board, even for a prototype or matching pad.
So allow for this.

go well

1. What types of test equipment do I need as an electronics enthusiast on a budget?

As an electronics enthusiast on a budget, there are a few essential pieces of test equipment that you should have in your toolkit. These include a multimeter for measuring voltage, current, and resistance, an oscilloscope for analyzing waveforms, a function generator for creating and testing electronic signals, and a power supply for providing the necessary power to your circuits. Other useful tools may include a logic analyzer, spectrum analyzer, and frequency counter, but these are not essential for beginners.

2. Can I purchase used or refurbished test equipment to save money?

Yes, purchasing used or refurbished test equipment can be a great way to save money while still getting reliable equipment. However, it is important to thoroughly research the seller and the condition of the equipment before making a purchase. Make sure to ask for pictures, test reports, and any warranties or return policies.

3. What is the best brand for purchasing test equipment on a budget?

There is no one "best" brand for purchasing test equipment on a budget, as it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, some popular and reputable brands for budget-friendly test equipment include Rigol, Siglent, and Owon. It is always a good idea to read reviews and compare prices before making a purchase.

4. Can I use my computer as a substitute for test equipment?

While there are some software-based tools that can be used for testing and analyzing electronic circuits, they should not be relied upon as a complete substitute for physical test equipment. In order to ensure accurate and reliable results, it is recommended to have proper test equipment in your toolkit.

5. Are there any alternatives to purchasing test equipment for electronics enthusiasts on a budget?

Yes, there are a few alternatives to purchasing test equipment for electronics enthusiasts on a budget. One option is to join a local makerspace or electronics club, where you may have access to a variety of test equipment for a membership fee. Another option is to borrow or rent test equipment from friends, colleagues, or online platforms. Additionally, you can also find DIY tutorials for building your own test equipment, although this may require some technical knowledge and skill.