Insulation blocks mobile phone signals

In summary: There are a few options, but I'm not sure if they are practical or cost-effective.In summary, modern foil covered foam insulation and coated window glass unfortunately blocks mobile phone signals rather well. I'm aware of solutions that use broadband and wifi to tunnel through it but this seems like a problem waiting for a better solution.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Modern foil covered foam insulation and coated window glass unfortunately blocks mobile phone signals rather well. I'm aware of solutions that use broadband and wifi to tunnel through it but this seems like a problem waiting for a better solution.

Are there any good/cheap alternatives to metal foil coating that reflect heat as well but don't block radio waves? Perhaps someone has a neat design for a slot antenna that could be cut into the foil before being applied to the foam?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always just leave the radiant barrier insulation off - using thicker regular insulation.

I heard of people using a small scale repeater for the local tower, so you have an antenna on your roof and one in the house... but I can't seem to find a reference.

Everyone I know just redirects their cell to their landline.

Thinks: have you tried mylar?

Thanks. I understand the problem (Faraday cage) and most of the potential solutions. Mobile phone repeaters are illegal in the UK. They will reluctantly provide Femtocells for contract customers, not sure about pay-as-you-go customers. I don't think any of the phone operators provide call diversion for free.

I was really looking to see of there was anything the manufacturers of rigid insulation could do to fix the problem at source. The possibility of using alternative coatings to aluminium such as Mylar is what I had in mind. Thanks.

Found...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_emissivity

Recently, some reflective thermal insulation manufacturers have switched to a metalized polyethylene facing. The long-term efficiency and durability of such facings are still undetermined.

What's needed is a non-metal with low emissivity.

1. How does insulation block mobile phone signals?

Insulation blocks mobile phone signals by creating a barrier between the phone and the outside world. This barrier prevents the radio waves used for communication from reaching the phone, effectively blocking the signal.

2. What materials are used for insulation to block mobile phone signals?

Common materials used for insulation to block mobile phone signals include metal foil, copper mesh, and conductive fabrics. These materials are able to reflect or absorb radio waves, preventing them from reaching the phone.

3. Can insulation completely block all mobile phone signals?

While insulation can significantly reduce the strength of mobile phone signals, it is unlikely to completely block all signals. This is because signals can still leak through small gaps or weaknesses in the insulation material.

4. Will using insulation to block mobile phone signals damage my phone?

No, using insulation to block mobile phone signals will not damage your phone. However, it may impact the phone's ability to send and receive calls, texts, and data if the insulation is thick or strong enough to completely block the signal.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions on using insulation to block mobile phone signals?

Yes, there are regulations and restrictions on using insulation to block mobile phone signals. In most countries, it is illegal to intentionally block mobile phone signals, as it interferes with the functioning of communication networks. It is important to check local laws and regulations before using insulation for this purpose.