Ideal Gas Law: Calculating Pressure and Moles of Helium Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ideal gas law to determine the new pressure of a thin metal sphere containing helium gas at various temperatures. The equation PV = nRT is used, with constants such as 1 Torr = 133.32 Pa and R = 8.3145 J/mol·K given. The new pressure is calculated when the sphere is placed in a mixture of dry ice and methanol, ice water, a water bath at room temperature, and boiling water. In the last part, the volume of the sphere and the temperature are converted to SI units to calculate the number of moles of helium gas present.
map7s
ideal gas law...I think...

Homework Statement

Useful Constants: 1 Torr = 133.32 Pa; R = 8.3145 J/mol·K

You have a thin metal sphere of unknown volume that contains helium gas at low pressure. You put the entire metal sphere into a bath of liquid nitrogen, and a pressure gauge on the sphere indicates a pressure of 286 torr.

a) You now place the metal sphere in a mixture of dry ice and methanol. What is the new pressure?

b) You now place the metal sphere in ice water. What is the new pressure?

c) You now place the metal sphere in a water bath at room temperature (measured to be 26.0 °C). What is the new pressure?

d) You now place the metal sphere in boiling water. What is the new pressure?

e) Given that the volume of the metal sphere, pressure gauge, etc., was 324 mL, how many moles of helium gas would you have?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
P/T=P/T

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we were dealing with Helium gas, I assumed that it would fall under the conditions of an ideal gas. I got all of the parts to this question correct, except for the very last part. For the other parts I used the second equation listed to find out the new pressure. For the last part, since conversion factors were given in the beginning, I assumed that the conditions were as stated at the very beginning and converted the original pressure to Pa, the volume to m3 (cm^3=mL), the temperature to K (for all parts temperature was given in K), and used the R value that was given. Is there some other catch to this equation that I am missing? Is there some value that I misconverted? Am I using the wrong conditions? I tried this problem several times and could not figure out what I was doing wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, helium is pretty much the idealist gas!

PV= n RT tells you pretty much everything you need to know - since you aren't changing the amount of gas or volume then nR and V are constant so you can just balance P/T for each change.
There is no need to convert to Pa since you are only dealing with relative changes.
You do have to convet to K because you are dividing by temperature (why would adding them not matter ?)
But always working in SI units might reduce the chance of errors later.
And of course in the last step where you need Pa and R.

Sounds like you have the theory perfectly - post you results if you want us to check the numbers.

actually, I double checked my work again and found out that I had accidentally miskeyed a number into my calculator...thanks so much though! It helped to talk it out!

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of gases under various conditions. It combines the three variables of pressure, volume, and temperature to calculate the amount of gas present in a system.

What are the units for each variable in the ideal gas law?

The units for pressure are typically in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), and temperature in Kelvin (K). However, other units such as Pascals (Pa) and Celsius (°C) can also be used.

What is the significance of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in various situations, such as in chemical reactions and industrial processes. It also serves as a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is used in many scientific fields.

How does the ideal gas law relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The ideal gas law is based on the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas particles are in constant motion and have negligible volume. The law uses these assumptions to explain the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a gas.

What are some limitations of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is only applicable to ideal gases, which have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume. Real gases do not always behave according to the ideal gas law, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the law does not take into account the effects of gas composition or chemical reactions.