Valid Methods for Solving Differential Equations: Common Misconceptions

In summary, the person in the conversation lost points on a test for solving a problem in a way that was deemed invalid by the professor. The person's method involved plugging in a given function into the differential equation, integrating, and solving for a constant using the initial conditions. However, the professor stated that this method is not valid and asked for a counter example to prove it. The person is seeking clarification and understanding on the differences between verifying a solution and finding solutions to a differential equation.
Jaevko
Hey all, i just lost a TON of points on a test for solving a

problem in a way that is apparently invalid.

The problem was verify that y(x) = x+1 is a solution for dy/dx =

y*y-x*x-2x; y(0) = 1. i plugged y = x+1 into the right side of

the second equation, got dy/dx = 1, integrated to get y=x+c, used

y(0) = 1 to get c= 1, therefore y = x + 1

My professor's annoyed 2-second explanation about why my method

is invalid was that I assumed that it worked to prove that it

worked. I sort of buy it, but I'm not completely convinced, could

someone give me a counter example to prove that my method is not

legit? [to clarify, my method is to plug in y(x) into the DE,

then integrate, then use the given initial conditions to solve for

c to get a new y(x) and make sure that my new y(x) is the same as

the old one].

The counter example I am requesting would take a form that is

similar to the problem above, except that y(x) would not be a

legit solution to dy/dx, BUT my method would falsely show that

y(x) does work. Obviously, if no such counter example exists,

that my method proves that the DE works and I should not have lost

any points

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did was sort of a cross between verifying that a given function was a solution and attempting to find the solution.

When you substituted y = x + 1 into the right side to get 1, why didn't do the same substitution on the left side? After all, if y = x + 1, dy/dx = 1.

When you got dy/dx = 1, that's not the same differential equation as the one you started with. dy/dx happens to be equal to 1 when y = x + 1. By treating dy/dx as a constant, you are eliminating all of the other potential soltutions of the DE dy/dx = y^2 - x^ - 2x. Off the top of my head I don't know what the other solutions to this DE might be, but such an equation (without the initial condition) generally has an infinite number of them.

There's a big difference between being asked to verify that a function is a solution of an initial value problem (a DE + a set of initial conditions), and finding the solutions to a DE. At this point, you probably don't have the tools to solve nonlinear DEs like this one, so make your life a little easier and do what is asked for. After you've done that, you can explore alternate techniques.

1. What are the most common misconceptions about solving differential equations?

The most common misconceptions about solving differential equations include the belief that there is only one correct method, that all equations can be solved using the same approach, and that numerical methods are less valid than analytical methods.

2. Is there only one correct method for solving differential equations?

No, there are multiple valid methods for solving differential equations. The choice of method depends on the specific characteristics of the equation, such as linearity, order, and boundary conditions.

3. Can all differential equations be solved using the same approach?

No, different types of differential equations require different approaches for solving them. For example, linear equations can be solved analytically using methods like separation of variables, while nonlinear equations may require numerical methods such as Euler's method.

4. Are numerical methods less valid than analytical methods for solving differential equations?

No, both numerical and analytical methods are valid for solving differential equations. However, numerical methods may be more suitable for certain types of equations, such as those that cannot be solved analytically or those with complex boundary conditions.

5. Do I need a strong mathematical background to solve differential equations?

Having a strong mathematical background can be helpful, but it is not necessary. Many software programs and online tools are available that can solve differential equations without requiring extensive mathematical knowledge. However, a basic understanding of calculus and algebra is necessary for solving differential equations.