Dielectric Boundary Condition Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a boundary condition for a dielectric immersed in a static field, where the potential satisfies a specific equation at the boundary of the dielectric. The equation relates the normal component of the electric fields on either side of the boundary, and it can be shown using Gauss's law with a "pillbox" surface. This corresponds to the given equation when the ratio of dielectric constants is equal to the charge density is zero.
Apteronotus
Hi,

I have a question regarding the boundary condition present for a dielectric immersed in a static field. I hope one of you physics guru's can shed some light on this.

Suppose we have a dielectric in space subjected to some external static electric field.

I have read (without explanation) that at the boundary of the dielectric the potential [itex]\Phi[/itex] satisfies

[itex]
k\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial n_i} = \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial n_e}
[/itex]

where [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial n}[/itex] represent the derivatives along the outward unit normal just interior, [itex]i[/itex], and just exterior, [itex]e[/itex], of the dielectric and [itex]k[/itex] is the dielectric constant.

can anyone shed some light on why this is so?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation relates the normal component of the electric fields on either side of the boundary
[itex]
\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x} = -E_x
[/itex]

The boundary condition is

[itex]\epsilon_1 E^\perp_1 - \epsilon_2 E^\perp_1 = \sigma_q[/itex]

where [itex]\sigma_q[/itex] is the charge density on the surface.

This can be shown by using Gauss's law with a "pillbox" surface.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/136393324/27/Boundary-conditions-for-perpendicular-field-components

This corresponds to your equation when [itex]\frac{\epsilon_i}{\epsilon_e} = k[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_q = 0[/itex]

Last edited:
MisterX you are amazing!
I am grateful. Thank you.

1. What is a dielectric boundary condition?

A dielectric boundary condition is a physical phenomenon that occurs at the interface between two materials with different dielectric properties. It describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves at the boundary between these materials.

2. How does a dielectric boundary condition affect electromagnetic waves?

A dielectric boundary condition affects electromagnetic waves by causing them to reflect and refract at the interface between two materials. This can lead to changes in the direction, amplitude, and polarization of the waves.

3. What are the types of dielectric boundary conditions?

There are two types of dielectric boundary conditions: perfect dielectric boundary condition and imperfect dielectric boundary condition. A perfect dielectric boundary condition assumes that there is no loss of energy at the interface between two materials, while an imperfect dielectric boundary condition takes into account the energy loss at the boundary.

4. How do you calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients for a dielectric boundary condition?

The reflection and transmission coefficients for a dielectric boundary condition can be calculated using the Fresnel equations. These equations take into account the angles of incidence and refraction, as well as the dielectric constants and impedances of the two materials.

5. What are some real-life applications of dielectric boundary conditions?

Dielectric boundary conditions have many practical applications, such as in the design of optical fibers, lenses, and other optical devices. They are also important in the study of antenna design and the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials.