Poisson's equation boundary conditions (electrostatics)

In summary, the problem at hand involves solving Poisson's equation for two parallel infinite conductor planes in vacuum. The potential and electric field need to be found in the region between the planes. The solution involves using boundary conditions and the continuity of the potential and electric field. The value of the derivative of the potential at one of the boundaries can be used to determine one of the unknowns. The electric field must also be continuous at x=d/2, and this can be demonstrated using Gauss' Law.
gnegnegne
Hi everyone!
I have to solve a problem using Poisson's equation.
There are two parallel infinite conductor planes in vacuum. The distance between them is [itex]d[/itex] and they are both kept at a potential [itex]V=0[/itex]. Between them there is a uniform volume density charge [itex]\rho_0>0[/itex] infinite along the directions parallel to the planes and its width is [itex]d/2[/itex] (it's a parallelepiped that starts at x=0 and ends at d/2). I have to find the the potential and the electric field in the region between the planes.
For [itex]0<x<d/2[/itex], solving the Poisson's equation (I integrated [itex]\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2}=-\frac{\rho_0}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]):
[tex]V_1(x)=-\frac{\rho_0 x^2}{2 \epsilon_0}+Ax+B[/tex]
For [itex]d/2<x<d[/itex], integrating [itex]\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2}=0[/itex]:
[tex]V_2(x)=Cx+D[/tex]
Setting the two boundary conditions at x=0 and at x=d I obtain [itex]D=-Cd[/itex] and [itex]B=0[/itex], therefore:
[tex]V_1(x)=-\frac{\rho_0 x^2}{2 \epsilon_0}+Ax[/tex]
[tex]V_2(x)=C(x-d)[/tex]

I can get ride of one of the two unknowns using the condition that V(x) has to be continuous at x=d/2, however I'm missing another condition. What other condition should be considered? Intuitively I would impose the condition that the electric field has to be continuous too, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to solve a second order differential equation, you need to know what the function is doing at the boundaries and also what its derivative is doing at the boundaries. Can you find the value of the derivative of the potential at one of the boundaries? That will give you ##C##. Hint: What is the negative of the derivative of the potential otherwise known as?
gnegnegne said:
Intuitively I would impose the condition that the electric field has to be continuous too, but I'm not 100% sure.
The electric field is discontinuous because it is zero inside the conductors at either end. Can you provide an argument why it must be continuous at ##x=d/2##?

Last edited:
Using the condition that the the potential has to be continuous:
[tex]
V(x)=
\begin{cases}
(\frac{\rho_0 d}{4\epsilon_0}-A)x-d(\frac{\rho_0 d}{4 \epsilon_0} - A) \quad \text{for} \quad \frac{d}{2} \leq x \leq d \\
-\frac{\rho_0 x^2}{2 \epsilon_0}+Ax \quad \text{for} \quad 0 \leq x \leq \frac{d}{2} \\
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I can calculate the electric field as [itex]E=-\nabla V[/itex]:
[tex]
E(x)=
\begin{cases}
-(\frac{\rho_0 d}{4\epsilon_0}-A) \quad \text{for} \quad \frac{d}{2} < x < leq d \\
\frac{\rho_0 x}{ \epsilon_0}-A \quad \text{for} \quad 0 < x <\frac{d}{2} \\
\end{cases}
[/tex]I know that near the surfaces of the conductors the electric field is [itex]E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/itex] perpendicular to the surface. But I don't know the surface density [itex]\sigma[/itex].

kuruman said:
The electric field is discontinuous because it is zero inside the conductors at either end. Can you provide an argument why it must be continuous at x=d/2x=d/2x=d/2?

Yes, but at [itex]x=\frac{d}{2}[/itex] I don't have a conductor. It's just where the region occupied by a density of charge [itex]\rho_0[/itex] ends. For [itex]d>x>\frac{d}{2}[/itex] I have no free charges. To prove that the electric field has to be continuous I could consider the same argument used to demonstrate that the discontinuity of the electric field where there is a surface charge is [itex]E_2-E_1=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]: I consider I cylinder of height [itex]2h[/itex] and base surface [itex]S[/itex], placed so that half of the cylinder is in the region with free charge ([itex]x<\frac{d}{2}[/itex]) and the other half in the region where there is no charge ([itex]x>\frac{d}{2}[/itex]).
Using Gauss' Law: [itex]E_2-E_1=\frac{Q(h)}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]. For [itex]h\rightarrow 0[/itex] the charge in the cylinder goes to zero because there is no surface charge, which implies (I think) that [itex]E_2=E_1[/itex]

1. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the electrostatic potential and the charge distribution in a given region of space. It is commonly used in electrostatics to calculate the electric field and potential in a system.

2. What are boundary conditions in Poisson's equation?

Boundary conditions in Poisson's equation refer to the constraints placed on the electric field or potential at the boundaries of a given region. These conditions are necessary to fully solve the equation and obtain a unique solution.

3. What are some common types of boundary conditions in electrostatics?

Some common types of boundary conditions in electrostatics include Dirichlet boundary conditions, where the potential is specified at the boundary, and Neumann boundary conditions, where the normal component of the electric field is specified at the boundary.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the solution to Poisson's equation?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the unique solution to Poisson's equation. They help to determine the behavior of the electric field and potential at the boundaries, which in turn affects the overall solution within the given region.

5. What is the significance of Poisson's equation in electrostatics?

Poisson's equation is a fundamental tool in electrostatics, as it allows us to calculate the electric field and potential in a given system based on the charge distribution. It is used in various applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in understanding the behavior of electric fields in different materials.