Unraveling Laplace's Equation: Exploring Valid Domains and Boundary Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of a series expansion solution for Laplace's equation in different regions, particularly when dealing with boundary conditions and charges on the boundary. The author also questions the use of a logarithmic term in the potential and its relationship to nonzero net charge. Further clarification is needed on the concept of "validity" in this context.
yucheng
Hi!

This thread might well be similar to:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...classical-electrodynamics-3rd-edition.910410/

I'm self-studying Vanderlinde and having a great time. However, I think that I am conflating and confusing many different things. Let me just ask them here:

Chapter 5 Laplace's equations.
  1. When solving the equation, ending in a series expansion, in what domain is the expansion valid?

1638353977752.png

The potential is specified for side 4, while the other sides are set to zero. From what I know of, the potential is a harmonic function i.e. it takes on a maximum or a minimum at the boundaries. Does this mean that the solution I have found is only valid within the boundary? I think so.

But then, you can specify two disconnected, nested boundaries like the circle as the lower bound to the radial distance, and infinity.

So, the author arrives at the equation

1638354203530.png

So, where is equation 5-15 valid? It can be used for both the region within and the region outside of the parallelepiped right, as long as the boundary conditions are specified (and delineates the bounding region)?
  2. On page 93, Vanderlinde mentions that we are solving for static fields with charges on the boundary. For problems where a potential is specified on a conductor, find the potential in space, fields etc., does this mean that the equation is only valid for the region of interest, but not the conductor?
  3. In Example 5.3 on page 100, the author gives coaxial nonconducting cylinders with surface charge densities giving rise to potential, and solves the Laplace's equation by specializing V with r = a.
    1638355150214.png

But doesn't this mean that ##\nabla^2 V \neq 0 ## anymore, at least on the boundary? So... why are we not solving Poisson's equation instead, with a dirac delta function for the charge density, of course? :smile:
  4. Why is ##\ln r## needed to to have a nonzero net charge?
1638355402908.png

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
yucheng said:
So, where is equation 5-15 valid?
I think this depends on what one means by valid. May this expression be numerically evaluated outside the region for which it was initially derived versus does it still represent the actual field outside the region. If the series converges outside the region then the answer is maybe but usually not. For example a closed metal box the fields outside and inside are generally unrelated.

Likes yucheng

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. It is used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the distribution of potential or temperature.

2. What is the significance of unraveling Laplace's equation?

Unraveling Laplace's equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. This is important in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, predicting fluid flow, and solving heat transfer problems.

3. What are valid domains and boundary conditions in Laplace's equation?

A valid domain is the region in which the scalar field is being studied. This can be a physical space or an abstract mathematical space. Boundary conditions are the values or relationships that are specified at the boundaries of the domain, which help to define the behavior of the scalar field within the domain.

4. How is Laplace's equation solved?

Laplace's equation is typically solved using techniques from calculus, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical methods. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and solving them individually, then combining the solutions to obtain the overall solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation has many practical applications, including predicting the flow of heat in a solid object, calculating the electric potential in a circuit, and modeling the behavior of fluids in a pipe. It is also used in image processing, signal analysis, and other areas of science and engineering.