Question on hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of long-term colonization of Mars and the idea of extracting oxygen from ice to create a breathable atmosphere. However, the calculations for this process are incorrect, as it would require 870 million million metric tons of ice to create a 20 kPa atmosphere of pure oxygen on Mars. The speaker also mentions the reactive nature of pure oxygen and raises questions about the stability of this type of atmosphere.
DHF
Hello,

Due to all the buzz by Mars One, my friend and I have been discussing hypothetical possibilities for long term colonization of Mars. He suggests the only long term solution is to extract O2 from the Ice on Mars and give the planet a breathable atmosphere. he did the math and calculated that in order to give the planet a 20kPa atmosphere of pure O2 you would need 670 Million metric tons.

I am curious as to how stable a pure O2 atmosphere would be. I know it is a very reactive element so what would happen if you had an atmosphere of pure O2?

Thanks for any insights.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I double checked with him, I was in error, his calculation of 670 Million Metric Tons was based on an end result of 16kPa, not the 20 I stated.

The calculation is off by a factor of 1 million, a factor of 2 does not matter here.

Dear friend,

It is certainly an interesting idea to consider the possibility of creating a breathable atmosphere on Mars by extracting oxygen from its ice. However, I must caution that such a feat would be incredibly challenging and would require much more research and development before it could be feasible.

Firstly, as you mentioned, oxygen is a highly reactive element and a pure O2 atmosphere would be extremely unstable. Oxygen is a key component in many chemical reactions and can easily react with other elements to form compounds. In an environment with a high concentration of pure oxygen, even a small spark or heat source could lead to a fire or explosion. This is why oxygen is typically stored and used in controlled environments with strict safety measures in place.

Furthermore, a pure O2 atmosphere would not be sustainable for human life in the long term. Our bodies require a balanced mix of gases, including nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and trace elements, to function properly. A pure O2 atmosphere would not provide the necessary gases for respiration and could lead to serious health issues for any potential colonizers on Mars.

In addition, creating such a large amount of oxygen and maintaining it in the atmosphere would require a significant amount of energy and resources. It may not be a practical solution for long term colonization of Mars.

Overall, while the idea of a pure O2 atmosphere on Mars may seem appealing, it is not a viable solution at this time due to the challenges and risks involved. More research and development is needed in this area to fully understand the implications and feasibility of such an endeavor.

Thank you for your question and I hope this response has provided some insights. Best of luck in your discussions and future considerations for the colonization of Mars.

Sincerely,

1. What is a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere?

A hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere is a theoretical scenario in which the Earth's atmosphere is composed solely of oxygen gas. This is not the case in reality, as our atmosphere is mostly made up of nitrogen and oxygen makes up only about 21% of it.

2. Can a planet sustain life with a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere?

No, a planet cannot sustain life with a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere. While oxygen is essential for many living organisms, too much of it can be toxic. It can also lead to extreme fire hazards and damage to the ozone layer.

3. How would a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere affect the climate?

The climate would be greatly affected by a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere. Without other gases like carbon dioxide and water vapor to absorb and trap heat, the planet would experience extreme temperature fluctuations, leading to uninhabitable conditions.

4. Are there any known planets with a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere?

No, there are no known planets with a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere. However, there have been studies and simulations done on planets outside of our solar system that suggest the possibility of a pure O2 atmosphere on them.

5. How would a hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere affect human health?

A hypothetical pure O2 atmosphere would have negative effects on human health. Too much oxygen can cause oxygen toxicity, leading to respiratory problems and damage to the central nervous system. It can also increase the risk of fire and explosion hazards.