Medical Concerns and Appointment

• Medical
  • Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
In summary, the conversation revolved around one person's concern about a lump on their shoulder and the advice given by others to get it checked out by a doctor. Eventually, the person went to the doctor and it turned out to be just swollen glands. The conversation also included some humorous exchanges about rats and laws in different provinces.
_Mayday_
Hey All,

Firstly let me say I have a doctors appointment on Monday with lots of things needing a look at. :smile:

My main concern is that I have a lump the size of a pea on the back of one of my shoulder, it is very close to the neck. It is in the skin and feels like carteledge though it isn't I know, it is round, and when I tense shoulders it pops out a pit, it is well within the skin. Any ideas? My mum says maybe a swollen gland? I've had it for a few months now!

_Mayday_

Biology news on Phys.org
Let us know what the doctor said.

I've had it for a few months now!
So you have known about it for months? Your life should not be treated as a waiting game!

It's Tuesday. Sorry. I'll let you guys/gals know as soon as possible. The reason I have left it so long is because I thought it was just a swollen gland.

Lumps under the skin that can't be attributed to a very recent injury (i.e., not just a bruise) should always be checked out by a doctor. They can run the gamut from benign to malignant, and sometimes even the doctor cannot readily tell visually, but will need to send the removed lump off for a biopsy to identify it.

Hopefully it's just a lipoma, or a cyst like larkspur mentioned. But NEVER let a lump under the skin (lymph node or not - lymph nodes swell up for a reason, you know!) go more than a week without getting it checked. OK? :smile: DO let us know, tho. You have some concerned friends here.

Tsu said:
Hopefully it's just a lipoma, or a cyst like larkspur mentioned. But NEVER let a lump under the skin (lymph node or not - lymph nodes swell up for a reason, you know!) go more than a week without getting it checked. OK? :smile: DO let us know, tho. You have some concerned friends here.
I'm also hoping it's a lipoma, I have some of those.

Evo said:
I'm also hoping it's a lipoma, I have some of those.

Oh, Sis. You're just lumpy all over. :smile:

Oh, no. Wait. That was ME! Wasn't it?? I was the fat kid - you were the skinny one? I CAN'T REMEMBER!1111 I'M TOO OLD!

Well? Any news?

Tsu said:
Oh, Sis. You're just lumpy all over.

Naw... just in the right spots.

What?! She doesn't have 5 nipples?! Rats!

Danger said:
Naw... just in the right spots.

What?! She doesn't have 5 nipples?! Rats!

No, honey. Rats have 6 nipples (or is it 8?) :smile:

Hmmm... I'm not sure. :confused:
Alberta is a rat-free province (by law), so I haven't had a chance to check.
Anyhow, I'm trying to get over the 'symmetry' aspect of the OCD/ADD thing. Five just seemed like a nice compromise.

Danger said:
Hmmm... I'm not sure. :confused:
Alberta is a rat-free province (by law), so I haven't had a chance to check.
Anyhow, I'm trying to get over the 'symmetry' aspect of the OCD/ADD thing. Five just seemed like a nice compromise.

WOW! I didn't know rats could read, much less adhere to any LAWS! I'm impressed! I think I want to move to Canada where the rats obey the laws. Are the humans as good as the rats? :smile:

Okay, sorry for the delay. First of all, I am ok thanks for all your thoughts though! It turns out they are both glands, which is what my mum said. She says in skinny boys who start to grow muscle sometimes they can stick out a bit, and she says only if it gets very big or i notice a dramatic change should I come back.

_Mayday_ :smile:

Glad it turned out to be nothing to worry about. :smile: But, see, now you have peace of mind for getting it checked out and verified rather than having to wonder and worry. :approve:

_Mayday_ said:
Okay, sorry for the delay. First of all, I am ok thanks for all your thoughts though! It turns out they are both glands, which is what my mum said. She says in skinny boys who start to grow muscle sometimes they can stick out a bit, and she says only if it gets very big or i notice a dramatic change should I come back.

_Mayday_ :smile:

Great news!

Tsu said:
WOW! I didn't know rats could read, much less adhere to any LAWS! I'm impressed! I think I want to move to Canada where the rats obey the laws. Are the humans as good as the rats? :smile:

Not even close.

I know that it might sound a bit weird to some people in other areas, but we really are mandated to be ratless. It's illegal to bring even a pet rat into the province, and border towns have inspectors who eradicate (or is that eraticate?) any specimens who manage to sneak across on their own. Since a huge portion of our provincial livelihood comes from grain farming, it makes sense.

Glad to hear that all is well, Mayday.

Moonbear: It is amazing how clear my head now feels! I also had all the other things checked out that were playing around in my mind. Turns out everything is fine! :smile:

Related to Medical Concerns and Appointment

1. What is the purpose of a medical appointment?

A medical appointment is a scheduled meeting between a patient and a healthcare professional, such as a doctor, for the purpose of addressing any medical concerns or issues the patient may have. It is an important opportunity for the healthcare provider to assess the patient's health and provide necessary medical care or advice.

2. How often should I schedule a medical appointment?

The frequency of medical appointments varies depending on a person's age, health status, and any existing medical conditions. Generally, it is recommended to schedule a routine check-up with a doctor at least once a year. However, if you have any ongoing medical concerns or chronic conditions, your doctor may recommend more frequent appointments.

3. Can I cancel or reschedule a medical appointment?

Yes, you can cancel or reschedule a medical appointment if necessary. It is important to notify the healthcare provider's office as soon as possible if you need to change your appointment. This allows them to offer the time slot to another patient in need of medical care.

4. What should I bring to a medical appointment?

It is important to bring any necessary medical documents, such as your insurance card, list of current medications, and any relevant medical history to your appointment. You may also want to bring a list of questions or concerns you have for your doctor to ensure you get the most out of your visit.

5. How can I prepare for a medical appointment?

To prepare for a medical appointment, you can make a list of any symptoms you have been experiencing, track your blood pressure or other vital signs if needed, and gather any relevant medical information. It may also be helpful to write down any questions or concerns you have for your doctor beforehand.