Entropy involving current and resistance question

In summary, a resistor with a current of 10A and a resistance of 25Ω was maintained for 1s while being thermally insulated at a temperature of 27°C. The resistor had a specific heat of 836 J/kg*K and a mass of 10g. The task was to find the entropy change of the resistor, but it was discovered that the resistor did not experience any change in entropy because it did not receive any heat flow. However, the insulator surrounding the resistor did experience an increase in entropy due to the heat it received from the resistor. The final answer for the entropy change of the universe was 5.78 J/K.
jrklx250s

Homework Statement

A current of 10A is maintained for 1s in a resistor of 25Ω while the temperature of the resistor is kept constant at 27°C. This resistor is thermally insulated with a mass of 10g. If it has a specific heat of 836 J/kg*K. What is the entropy change of the resistor? Universe?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so if the wire is thermally insulated at a constant temperature of 27°C, Q=0 therefore
W=0 because it is isothermal and adiabatic
So if entropy is
TdS= dU - dW
so ΔS = 0J/K?

However this is wrong...the answer is 5.78J/K and I am confused at to how they got this... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how a resistor can have a current put thru it, be thermally insulated and maintained at constant temperature. Anybody?

Yea exactly, that's why I'm confused...being thermally insulated Q=0 and being held at a constant temperature it is isothermal. Therefore this is adiabatic and isothermal so...if the ΔS=ΔQ/T and there is no heat change well then there is no entropy change? Clearly I'm wrong though because the answers is 5.78 J/K.

I think we've been careless in reading the question.

Here's the situation: the resistor is packaged inside an insulator. The INSULATOR has c = 836 SI units and mass = 10g.

The resistor clearly suffers no change in entropy because no heat flows to the resistor (the energy flowing to the resistor is work, as represented by a generator required to furnish the electricity).

But the insulator does receive heat Q from the resistor, and will heat up (increase its temperature T) over the 1 sec time interval. So the insulator increases its entropy per ΔS = ∫dQ/T. If we ignore loss of heat to the environment, that will be the increase in entropy of the universe as well.

T(t) of the insulator = T0 + (P/C)t where P = i^2*R, C = c*10g/1kg and t = time after starting the current.
i = 10A, R = 25 ohms, and T(t=0) = T0 = 300K (assume insulator is at T=300K before current is applied).

dQ(t)/dt for the insulator = CdT(t)/dt so dQ(t) = CdT(t) so now you can perform the integral.

Careful of the difference between heat capacity C and specific heat c. C = 0.01c here since the insulation has mass = 10g.

I'll try to come up with the actual answer while you work the problem and will let you know if I got the correct answer.

Ah wonderful. Thanks for your help here now I get it. So the INSULATOR actually increases its entropy which is done by its temperature change which is T(t) = 300K + (10A^2*25Ω)/(8.36 J/K) = 599K

Now the Entropy change of the resistor inside the insulator is ΔS = ∫CdT/T = 8.36*ln(599K/300K) = 5.78 J/K

Thank you rude man :P !

jrklx250s said:
Now the Entropy change of the resistor inside the insulator is ΔS = ∫CdT/T = 8.36*ln(599K/300K) = 5.78 J/K

Thank you rude man :P !

No, the resistor entropy does not change, because no heat flowed into it (I know it sounds goofy, but you have to interpret "heat" very strictly as that energy which flows by virtue of a difference in temperature. The resistor receives no heat flow; its increase in internal energy comes from the work done by, for example, an external generator used to supply its electrical energy.

So: ΔS of resistor = 0
ΔS of universe = 5.78J/K. Thanks for saving me the trouble of getting the answer.

FAQ: Entropy involving current and resistance question

1. What is entropy in relation to current and resistance?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of current and resistance, it can be thought of as the amount of disorder in the flow of electricity through a circuit. As resistance increases, the disorder or entropy of the system also increases, resulting in a decrease in current.

2. How does entropy affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Entropy plays a crucial role in determining the flow of current in a circuit. As resistance increases, the amount of disorder or entropy in the system also increases, resulting in a decrease in current. This is because the increase in disorder makes it more difficult for the electrons to flow through the circuit, leading to a decrease in current.

3. Can entropy be used to predict the behavior of a circuit?

Yes, entropy can be used to predict the behavior of a circuit. By understanding the relationship between entropy, current, and resistance, scientists can make predictions about how changes in one factor will affect the others. This can help in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes.

4. How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. In the context of current and resistance, this means that the total entropy of a circuit will increase as resistance increases, resulting in a decrease in current flow. This is because energy is lost as heat due to the increase in disorder in the system.

5. Can entropy be reduced in a circuit?

Entropy cannot be reduced in a circuit as it is a natural result of the flow of electricity. However, it can be managed and controlled by minimizing resistance and optimizing the design of the circuit. This can help to maintain a steady flow of current and prevent excessive energy loss due to entropy.