Change in entropy of a resistor

In summary: Therefore, the final answer is also off by a factor of 1000. In summary, a thermally insulated resistor with a resistance of 20 Ω and a mass of 5.0 g made of a material with a specific heat capacity of 850 J/(kg-K) and carrying a current of 2.0 A for 1.0 s will experience an increase in temperature of 0.002 K and an increase in entropy of 0.000273 J/K.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

Consider a thermally insulated resistor with resistance R=20 Ω and mass m=5.0 g. The resistor is made of a material with specific heat capacity c=850 J/(g-K) and carries a current of 2.0 A for a time period of 1.0 s.

a) Calculate the increase in the temperature of the resistor if it has initial temperature Tin=20oC. Recall that the power dissipated by a resistor is given by P=I²R.

b) Determine the increase in the resistor's entropy over the period that the current passes through it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is in the attachment. I just wanted somebody to have a look at it and let me know if it looks okay since I don't feel too sure about it.

Attachments

• thermo hw.png
    thermo hw.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 863
Physics news on Phys.org
I note that you used 50g for your mass in the final calculation rather than 5g...

gneill said:
I note that you used 50g for your mass in the final calculation rather than 5g...
oh woops, the answer should have been ΔS = 0.273 J/K

I think part (b) is a trick question but I'm going to wait for other responses if any.
As a hint I don't agree with the computed answer in post 3.

Your specific heat capacity is unrealistic. It should be per kilo not gram.

alchemistoff said:
Your specific heat capacity is unrealistic. It should be per kilo not gram.
Yes, the approach is correct, but the heat capacity is off by a factor of 1000.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is a measure of the energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How does a resistor contribute to the change in entropy?

A resistor, being a passive component, does not actively contribute to the change in entropy. However, it can affect the change in entropy of a system as it converts electrical energy into heat, which can increase the disorder of the system.

3. Why does the entropy of a resistor increase?

The entropy of a resistor increases due to the Joule heating effect. As electricity flows through the resistor, some of the electrical energy is converted into heat energy, increasing the disorder or randomness of the system.

4. How does the change in entropy of a resistor affect the overall system?

The change in entropy of a resistor can affect the overall system by increasing the disorder of the system and potentially leading to a decrease in efficiency. This can also result in the production of waste heat, which can have environmental impacts.

5. Can the change in entropy of a resistor be reversed?

No, the change in entropy of a resistor cannot be reversed. Entropy follows the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Therefore, the change in entropy of a resistor will always lead to an increase in disorder and cannot be reversed.