Why Does Reflected Light Get Polarized But Transmitted Light Does Not?

In summary, the conversation was about confusion regarding polarization by reflection, specifically the difference between the reflected and transmitted light's polarization states. The confusion was cleared up by explaining the concept of Brewster's angle and how it affects the polarization of reflected and transmitted light.
sivasayanth
confusion about polarization...

i have been confusing according this picture which is taken from http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/hframe.html" .

Confusion is "i studied that is when the reflect light perpendicular to transmitted light then two ways become plane polarize".but here reflection part get the plane polarization .but transmitted wave does not get any polarize.

please help me . I'm very beginner for this subject...

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

Are you talking about "Polarization by Reflection" http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/phyopt/polar.html#c1 ?

The pictures shows light incident at the Brewster angle. This is the angle at which the p-component of light is 100% transmitted. Thus the only component that is reflected is the s-component, hence s-polarization of reflection.

Note that the s-component is only partially reflected, so that the transmitted light still has the two polarization states. However, assuming no absorption, the transmitted light will have the same amount of p-polarization as the incident light but less in the case of s-polarization since part of it is reflected.

I can understand your confusion about polarization. It can be a complex topic to grasp, especially for beginners. Let me try to explain it to you in simpler terms.

Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field in a light wave. When light is reflected or transmitted, the orientation of the electric field can change, resulting in different types of polarization.

In the picture you mentioned, the reflected light is said to be plane polarized because the electric field is oriented in a specific direction, perpendicular to the direction of the light wave. This is known as plane polarization or linear polarization.

However, in the case of transmitted light, the electric field can still be oriented in different directions, resulting in no specific polarization. This is because the transmitted light is a combination of all the different orientations of the electric field of the incident light.

So, in short, the confusion may arise from the fact that reflected light can have a specific polarization, while transmitted light may not have a specific polarization.

I hope this explanation helps to clear up your confusion. Keep studying and exploring the fascinating world of polarization. Good luck!

1. What is polarization?

Polarization is the phenomenon in which a light wave or other electromagnetic radiation becomes restricted to a specific plane of oscillation. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as reflection, scattering, or transmission through certain materials.

2. How does polarization affect light?

Polarization affects the behavior of light in various ways. For example, polarized light can be blocked or filtered out by certain materials, and it can also be used to reduce glare in photography or to enhance contrast in certain types of lenses.

3. What are the different types of polarization?

There are three main types of polarization: linear, circular, and elliptical. Linear polarization occurs when the electric field of light oscillates in a single plane. Circular polarization occurs when the electric field rotates continuously in a circular pattern. Elliptical polarization is a combination of linear and circular polarization.

4. How does polarization play a role in 3D technology?

Polarization is an important factor in 3D technology, as it allows for the separation of images for each eye. In 3D glasses, one lens is polarized in one direction and the other lens is polarized in the opposite direction, allowing each eye to see a slightly different image, creating a 3D effect.

5. Can polarization be reversed?

Yes, polarization can be reversed through a process called depolarization. This occurs when polarized light passes through certain materials, such as a polarizing filter, and its direction of polarization becomes randomized. This is often used in photography and other applications to reduce glare and improve image quality.