Physics One material in Physical Chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with a physics class and how it relates to their current studies in chemistry. The speaker mentions their lack of understanding of mechanics in the previous class and their concerns about how much they will need to know for physical chemistry. Other participants in the conversation suggest that mechanics is not heavily covered in P-chem, but recommend checking prerequisite courses and corequisites. They also mention that basic knowledge of mechanics should be sufficient for the course.
Spirochete
I managed to get through a physics for bio majors type class with very little understanding of mechanics. I didn't put much effort in because at the time I was a biology major.

Now I'm more interested in chemistry and will soon be taking the dreaded physical chemistry. I am curious how much mechanics and stuff from Physics I will I have to know to understand P-Chem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm taking p-chem now but I'm only a third of the way through the course. So far I only needed to have some familiarity with things like work or energy. I don't think you need to know it in depth.

"Mechanics" (aka. Newtonian mechanics) material isn't covered much in P-chem... what is covered more is concepts from quantum mechanics and thermodynamics (which involves concepts of energy and work as mentioned by leumas614 above). These are typically in a third semester physics course, although it depends on your instituton). I would, however, additionally recommend that you see what courses are required prerequisites or corequisites for the class.

I think it depends on the particulars of the course - basic mechanics cropped up when I was doing p. chem. (for instance, a little bit of the classical wave equation when discussing wavefunctions, a good bit of mention when doing the section of the course on kinetic theory of gases), but you should be good with the basic notions of mechanics.

YMMV.

1. What is the difference between Physics and Physical Chemistry?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Physical Chemistry, on the other hand, is a subfield of chemistry that uses the principles of physics to understand and explain chemical phenomena.

2. How does the study of Physics relate to Physical Chemistry?

Physics provides the fundamental concepts and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy, which are essential in understanding the chemical properties and reactions studied in Physical Chemistry.

3. What are some common topics covered in a Physics One material in Physical Chemistry?

Some common topics covered in a Physics One material in Physical Chemistry include thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in Physics to understand Physical Chemistry?

While a basic understanding of physics concepts is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand Physical Chemistry. The important principles and equations will be introduced and explained in the course material.

5. How can understanding Physics One material in Physical Chemistry benefit me?

Understanding Physics One material in Physical Chemistry can provide a solid foundation for further studies in chemistry and other related fields. It also allows for a deeper understanding and appreciation of the physical processes behind chemical reactions and properties.