Chemical Kinetics: Reaction Mechanism (My working attempt shown)

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation but is not sure if his logic is correct. He eliminated choices that involve M and found that only k1k2[A] remained as a possible solution. However, apart from anything else, his choice would be saying the rate is independent of [M] - contradicting the fact that M is a catalyst!
tehaznboi

Homework Statement

1. According to the mechanism below, what is the correct expression for the rate of consumption of A? In the mechanism, M is a molecule that collides with A and A* is a highly-energized form of A.

Step 1 (reversible): A + M <---> A* + M rate constants k1 and k-1

Step 2 (irreversible): A* ---> C rate constant k2

Rate = k1 [A] [M] / (k-1[M] + k2)
Rate = [A] / [C]
Rate = k1k2 [A]
Rate = (k1 [A] [M] + k-2[C] ) / (k-1[M] + k2)
Rate=k1k2 / (k-1+k-2)
Rate = (k1+k2-k-1-k-2) [A]
Rate = k1k2 [A] / (k-1+k2[M])
Rate=k1+k2-k-1-k-2
Rate = [C] / [A]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, I didn't show my work before. But anyways, I eliminated some choices because I know they're wrong. I tried submitting them, but it kept rejecting it, and I only have 1 more try.

Anyways here is my though process.

k1 is the rate constant for the forward reaction and k-1 is the rate of the backwards reaction. I'm assuming that k-2 is the rate for the backs reaction of step 2. However, it's irreversible, so I do not believe that rate constant should even exist.

In step 1, M seems to be a catalyst, since the catalyst is regenerated, I assumed it won't have anything to do with the rate of consumption, as in, it just has to be present.

Since step 2 is irreversible, I assumed that [C] does not play a role in the consumption of [A] as it's not an equilibrium reaction.

After eliminating all choices that involve any of the above, I get k1k2[A] as my only possible choice. I don't want to submit this however cause I'm not 100% sure if my logic is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
tehaznboi said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, I didn't show my work before. But anyways, I eliminated some choices because I know they're wrong. I tried submitting them, but it kept rejecting it, and I only have 1 more try.

Anyways here is my though process.

k1 is the rate constant for the forward reaction and k-1 is the rate of the backwards reaction. I'm assuming that k-2 is the rate for the backs reaction of step 2. However, it's irreversible, so I do not believe that rate constant should even exist. AGREE

In step 1, M seems to be a catalyst, since the catalyst is regenerated, I assumed it won't have anything to do with the rate of consumption, as in, it just has to be present. ??

Since step 2 is irreversible, I assumed that [C] does not play a role in the consumption of [A] as it's not an equilibrium reaction. AGREE

After eliminating all choices that involve any of the above, I get k1k2[A] as my only possible choice. I don't want to submit this however cause I'm not 100% sure if my logic is correct.

However, apart from anything else, your choice would be saying the rate is independent of [M] - contradicting the fact that M is a catalyst!

I think you cannot do it just by looking at the given formulation of the mechanism. You have to make some assumption, try the simplest you can find, about the mechamism. M cannot affect the reaction by so to speak grandstanding like your scheme shows, it has to interact with A in some way then disengage from it. Try to elaborate a hypothetical simple model, it will be much more useful to you than guesswork (although many of the answers are in fact unreasonable as you have recognised).

Last edited:

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the branch of chemistry that studies the rates of chemical reactions and the factors that affect them. It involves understanding the speed at which reactants are converted into products.

2. What is a reaction mechanism?

A reaction mechanism is the step-by-step sequence of elementary reactions that leads to the overall chemical reaction. It explains how the bonds are broken and formed between atoms and molecules during a chemical reaction.

3. What factors affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction is affected by various factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, presence of a catalyst, and the nature of the reactants and products.

4. How do we determine the rate law for a chemical reaction?

The rate law for a chemical reaction can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial rates of the reaction at different concentrations of reactants and comparing them. The rate law equation can then be constructed by using the concentrations of the reactants that affect the reaction rate.

5. What is the difference between a catalyst and an intermediate in a reaction mechanism?

A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without undergoing any permanent chemical change. An intermediate, on the other hand, is a species that is formed in one step of the reaction mechanism and consumed in a subsequent step, but is not present in the overall reaction. Catalysts are present throughout the reaction, while intermediates are only present temporarily.