Help I'm in a real-life physics jam

• Thread starter johnnyd99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around building a vibration table with a minimum acceleration of four times gravitational acceleration. The setup includes a motor, camshaft, and compression springs. Suggestions for measuring and adjusting gravitational acceleration include using an accelerometer, calculating average acceleration, and using more exotic options such as lasers or magnetics. The formula for maximum acceleration in harmonic motion is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a request for help in solving the problem based on the given data.
johnnyd99

Homework Statement

I hope I am posting in the right area and you guys can help me out. I'm by no means a physics master but have a basic math understanding. Here is the situation I am dealing with at work:

I am building a vibration table (that goes up and down, 900r/min, with a vertical displacement of 0.33") and it needs to have a minimum acceleration of four times gravitational acceleration.

Basically my set up includes a motor (which I can set to 900r/min) that drives a camshaft that moves the table up. The table floats in between compression springs (four on top, four on bottom).

How do I set and measure the gravitational acceleration on this? I'm assuming I could adjust the gravitational acceleration by adjusting the amount of spring compression...??

If anyone has ideas how I can measure and configure gravitational acceleration on this vibration table it would be of much help!

Thanks!
John

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, generally you would use an accelerometer.
Otherwise you can calculate the average acceleration very easily based on the parameters you've given.

More exotic options include (but are not limited to):
- Calculating the force exerted by the motor, and that of the springs
- Using lasers (always works)
- Using magnetics and measuring the electric field
- Use a high speed camera and calculate it for small timesteps manually

The formula for the maximum acceleration in a harmonic motion is:
[tex]
a_{\mathrm{max}} = \omega^2 \, A
[/tex]
where [itex]\omega = 2 \, \pi \, f[/itex] is the circular frequency ([itex]f[/itex] is the regular frequency, in your case 900 r/min), and [itex]A[/itex] is the amplitude.

You need to be careful in converting the units.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd like to try solving this with a formula if possible, however a lot of this is going over my head >) I'm just reading that I might need to consider something called Hooke's Law? The spring constant (K) is 2.680lbF/in, if this information is needed.

Any chance someone can try solving this based on the data given?

Thanks a bunch

Last edited:
This is your problem, you should solve it. @Dickfore's answer is the best if you have an appropriate geometry between your motor and camshaft (which I'd guess you do). How does the motor's motion get translated to the table motion, exactly?

1. What is a real-life physics jam?

A real-life physics jam refers to a situation where a person encounters a problem or challenge in their daily life that requires an understanding of physics principles to solve. It could be anything from calculating the trajectory of a ball to fixing a broken machine.

2. Why is it important to know physics?

Physics is the most fundamental science, as it helps us understand the basic principles that govern the natural world. It is used in various fields, including engineering, medicine, and technology, making it essential for problem-solving and innovation in our modern society.

3. How can I apply physics in real-life situations?

Physics can be applied in many everyday situations, such as driving a car, playing sports, and using household appliances. By understanding the fundamental principles of physics, you can make more informed decisions and solve problems more effectively.

4. What if I struggle with understanding physics concepts?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but with dedication and practice, anyone can improve their understanding. Seek help from a teacher or tutor, and try to approach the concepts from different angles to find a way that works best for you.

5. Can I study physics without being a scientist?

Absolutely! Physics is a subject that can be studied and applied by anyone, regardless of their profession. Many non-scientists use physics in their daily lives without even realizing it. Learning about physics can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any field.