Tracking Research as a Layman (Help Appreciated)

In summary, the conversation discusses the first report of remission from an autoimmune disease called ankylosing spondylitis. The person is a layman without access to professional journals and is looking for internet sites with public access to learn more about this news. The journal mentioned in the conversation is open access and the paper can be downloaded, but is highly technical. It is suggested to discuss the paper with a physician or search the biomedical literature database called PubMed Central. The method used for remission is considered too harsh and risky, even for long-time sufferers of the disease.
Hlafordlaes
A recent abstract discusses the first report ever of the remission of an autoimmune disease from which I suffer, ankylosing spondylitis. As a layman without access to subscriptions to professional journals, I was wondering if there might be any posters who are aware of the best internet sites with public access that I might use to get more info.

Sorry for the personal request, but this is potentially ground-breaking news and I am, shall we say, very highly motivated.

Biology news on Phys.org
The journal you link to is an open access journal, so you should be able to download the paper. Of course, the paper is highly technical and not written to be understood by the general public, so it would probably be best to discuss the paper with your physician.

All scientists funded by the US National Institutes of Health are required to deposit their publications in a freely accessible database called PubMed Central, so that would be a good place to go if you wish to search the biomedical literature.

Thanks, Mr. Norse Tree! You're right, the site did let me dl a pdf that was a bit longer. In the end, tho, the method used that resulted in remission was so harsh (basically nuking the immune system), that even if it produces results for AS, it appears the risks are too high, even for decades-long sufferers like myself.

Thanks again, especially for the link.

1. What is tracking research?

Tracking research is a type of study that involves following and collecting data on a specific subject or group over a period of time. It is often used in social sciences, marketing, and public health to understand trends, behaviors, and patterns.

2. How is tracking research conducted?

Tracking research can be conducted in various ways, such as surveys, interviews, observations, and data analysis. Researchers use different methods depending on the type of data they want to collect and the subject they are studying.

3. What are the benefits of tracking research?

Tracking research allows us to gather data over a period of time, which can provide more accurate and reliable results. It also helps us understand changes and trends in a subject or group, and can be used to inform decision-making and policy development.

4. What are some limitations of tracking research?

One limitation of tracking research is that it can be time-consuming and expensive to conduct. There may also be issues with participant retention over a long period of time, which can affect the validity of the data. Additionally, tracking research may not be suitable for all types of research questions or subjects.

5. How can I interpret the results of tracking research as a layman?

Interpreting the results of tracking research can be challenging for a layman, as it often involves complex statistical analysis. It is best to consult with a researcher or expert in the field to help understand the findings and their implications. Additionally, many research studies publish their results in accessible formats, such as infographics or summaries, which can make it easier for non-experts to understand the findings.