Using complex numbers to find trig identities

In summary, Tan(2x) can be found using Euler's formula if x is a complex number. Once found, the identity for tan(2x) can be found using the following equation.
Miike012
I can find for example Tan(2x) by using Euler's formula for example

Let the complex number Z be equal to 1 + itan(x)

Then if I calculate Z2 which is equal to 1 + itan(2x) I can find the identity for tan(2x) by the following...

Z2 =(Z)2 = (1 + itan(x))2 = 1 + (2i)tan(x) -tan(x)2 = 1 -tan(x)2 + i(2tan(x))

now tan(2x) = Im(Z2)/Re(Z2) = 2tan(x)/(1 - tan2(x)).

QUESTION:
Is there a method (still using complex numbers) to find half angle identities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Say you want to find [itex] \sin(x/2) [/itex]. [tex] \sin(x/2)= \frac{e^\frac{ix}{2}-e^{-\frac{ix}{2}}}{2i} [/tex] Square both sides and simplify using [itex] \frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}=cos(x) [/itex] to get [tex] \sin^2(x/2)=\frac{1-cos(x)}{2} [/tex]

HS-Scientist said:
Sure. Say you want to find [itex] \sin(x/2) [/itex]. [tex] \sin(x/2)= \frac{e^\frac{ix}{2}-e^{-\frac{ix}{2}}}{2i} [/tex] Square both sides and simplify using [itex] \frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}=cos(x) [/itex] to get [tex] \sin^2(x/2)=\frac{1-cos(x)}{2} [/tex]

would it work the same for sin(x/n) where n>2

I don't think so. If you were to expand [tex](\frac{e^\frac{ix}{n}-e^{-\frac{ix}{n}}}{2i})^n [/tex] you would get a lot of terms that look like [itex] e^{aix/n} [/itex] that don't look so easy to simplify.

Last edited:
HS-Scientist said:
I don't think so. If you were to expand [tex](\frac{e^\frac{ix}{n}-e^{-\frac{ix}{n}}}{2i})^n [/tex] you would get a lot of terms that look like [itex] e^{aix/b} [/itex] where a and b are integers less than n that don't look so easy to simplify.

Thanks for your help

If for any function f, you have a formula f(2x) = g[f(x)]

Then f(x) = g[f(x/2)], and f(x/2) = g-1[f(x)]

Which you can obtain provided you can invert g, which in this case you can - it is solving a quadratic.

You will surely not obtain any different results by whatever other method.

1. What are complex numbers and how are they related to trigonometric identities?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit (√-1). Complex numbers are related to trigonometric identities through Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x). This allows us to express trigonometric functions in terms of complex numbers and vice versa.

2. How can using complex numbers help us find trigonometric identities?

Using complex numbers can help us find trigonometric identities because it allows us to manipulate and simplify the expressions using algebraic properties of complex numbers. This can make it easier to prove or verify trigonometric identities, as well as discover new identities.

3. Can complex numbers be used to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, complex numbers can be used to solve trigonometric equations. This is because complex numbers have both a real and imaginary part, allowing them to represent both the magnitude and direction of a complex number. This can be useful in solving equations involving trigonometric functions, such as finding the roots of trigonometric equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using complex numbers in finding trigonometric identities?

While complex numbers can be a useful tool in finding trigonometric identities, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that not all trigonometric identities can be expressed solely in terms of complex numbers. Additionally, complex numbers may not always be the most efficient method for finding trigonometric identities, and other methods such as algebraic manipulation or geometric proofs may be more suitable.

5. Can anyone use complex numbers to find trigonometric identities, or is it a more advanced technique?

Anyone can use complex numbers to find trigonometric identities, but it may require a certain level of mathematical knowledge and understanding of complex numbers. It is a more advanced technique compared to other methods of finding trigonometric identities, so it may be more commonly used by those with a strong mathematical background.