Did i do this matrix transformation right?

In summary, to ensure you are using the correct matrix for a transformation, first identify the type of transformation and then verify the corresponding matrix. It is also helpful to double check your work by applying the transformation to a set of coordinates. To determine if your matrix is in the correct form, refer to reliable sources or consult with others. Common mistakes to watch out for include using the wrong matrix, incorrect placement of elements, and mathematical errors. While calculators can be used to check transformations, it is recommended to also manually check for accuracy. To improve understanding, practice with different matrices and coordinates, refer to reliable sources, and engage in discussions with others.
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you've made a mistake in line 3.

You said that (j) = -w + 2i, because you've used w = (2,-1),
this is actually T(w).

You defined w on the second line as (1,1).

Hope this helps, let me know how you get/got on,
Sam

ahh thank you! it worked out now!

1. Did I use the correct matrix for the transformation?

To determine if you used the correct matrix for the transformation, you should first check the type of transformation you are trying to perform (translation, rotation, scaling, etc.). Then, make sure you are using the correct matrix for that specific transformation. Lastly, you can double check your work by applying the transformation to a set of coordinates and comparing the results to what you expect.

2. How do I know if my matrix is in the correct form?

The correct form of a transformation matrix will depend on the type of transformation you are performing. For translations, the matrix should have the original coordinates in the first three columns and the translated coordinates in the last column. For rotations, the matrix should have a combination of cosine and sine functions in specific positions. For scalings, the diagonal elements should represent the scaling factors. You can refer to a reliable source or consult with a colleague to confirm if your matrix is in the correct form.

3. What are some common mistakes to look out for when doing a matrix transformation?

Some common mistakes when doing a matrix transformation include using the wrong matrix for the type of transformation, incorrect placement of elements in the matrix, and using incorrect values for the transformation parameters. It is also important to check for any typos or mathematical errors in your calculations.

4. Can I use a calculator to check my matrix transformation?

You can use a calculator to check your matrix transformation by entering the transformation matrix and the coordinates of a point, and then comparing the results to what you expect. However, it is always recommended to double check your work using pen and paper to avoid any potential errors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of matrix transformations?

To improve your understanding of matrix transformations, you can practice with different types of transformations using various matrices and coordinates. You can also refer to reliable sources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to learn the concepts and applications of matrix transformations. Additionally, discussing with colleagues or attending workshops or seminars can also help deepen your understanding.