How effective are honeycomb plates at preventing "bend"?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of honeycomb plates for achieving extreme stiffness in a custom strut bar for a car. The speaker inquired about the stiffness of honeycomb plates under bend and the direction in which they are strongest. It was mentioned that the manufacturers provide technical data for these questions, and a helpful brochure was provided as an example. It was also noted that honeycomb plates are anisotropic and only strong in the L direction.
Nikita240
I'm designing a custom ultra stiff strut bar for a car. Achieving extreme stiffness usually adds a lot of weight, so I am looking into ways to reduce the weight.

Honeycomb plates are extremely light, but are only stiff in certain directions. This is perfect for my application since I am transferring forces in a very controlled manner.

My question is, how stiff are honeycomb plates under bend? That is, one side being held perfectly perpendicular, and a force applied tangentially to the other end.

Also, in what direction is the honeycomb strongest?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The manufacturers provide all the technical data you need to answer these questions, usually as the equivalent "smeared out" material properties ignoring the finite size of the cells.

For example see http://www.hexcel.com/Resources/DataSheets/Brochure-Data-Sheets/Honeycomb_Sandwich_Design_Technology.pdf [Broken]

Honeycomb is anisotropic because of the way it is made, A set of flat strips are bonded together, and then pulled apart to form the cells, rather like making a Christmas decoration with paper and glue. This means the thickness is doubled where the strips are bonded. See the PDF for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
AlephZero said:
The manufacturers provide all the technical data you need to answer these questions

I order from McMaster, and they don't provide that much detail unfortunately.

AlephZero said:
For example see http://www.hexcel.com/Resources/DataSheets/Brochure-Data-Sheets/Honeycomb_Sandwich_Design_Technology.pdf [Broken]

That is actually very helpful! Thanks!

After reading that, I understand that it's only strong in the L direction, which is the direction in which the honey comb "ribbon" is weaved.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do honeycomb plates prevent "bend"?

Honeycomb plates are made up of a series of hexagonal cells that are arranged in a way that creates a strong and rigid structure. When force is applied to the plate, the cells distribute the load evenly, preventing any one area from bearing too much weight and causing the plate to bend.

2. Are honeycomb plates more effective at preventing "bend" than other materials?

It depends on the specific application and the materials being compared. Honeycomb plates are often used in aerospace and automotive industries because they are lightweight and have a high strength-to-weight ratio. However, for certain applications, other materials may be more effective at preventing "bend".

3. Do honeycomb plates have any limitations in preventing "bend"?

While honeycomb plates are generally very effective at preventing "bend", they do have limitations. If the force applied is too great, the cells may collapse and the plate can still bend. Additionally, the cells can become damaged over time, reducing the plate's effectiveness.

4. Can honeycomb plates prevent "bend" in all directions?

Honeycomb plates are strongest in the direction of the cells, so they are most effective at preventing "bend" in that direction. However, they may not be as effective in preventing "bend" in other directions. This is why honeycomb plates are often used in conjunction with other materials to provide strength and support in multiple directions.

5. How do you determine the effectiveness of honeycomb plates in preventing "bend"?

The effectiveness of honeycomb plates in preventing "bend" can be measured through various testing methods, such as stress testing and finite element analysis. These tests can determine the amount of force the plate can withstand before bending and can also identify any weak points in the structure that may need to be reinforced. The specific application and intended use of the plate will also play a role in determining its effectiveness.