Low-Pass Filtering a system, Time constant issue

by dolle39
Tags: constant, filtering, issue, lowpass, time
dolle39
Jan15-13, 02:46 AM
P: 3
Hi!

I want to low-pass filter some simulations that I made. The indata to the simulation is built up by several modules and hence at the edges transients will occur. I want to filter these out. The indata in sampled at 20 Hz. How should I set the time constant for the filter? I mean I know that I should relate that to the time constant of the system in order to not filter away important data. But what is the time constant of a system really? Consider a car steering system. Is the time constant the time it takes for the system to manouver from max left to max right? Or is it the time it takes to manouver from +10% to -10%? Some guideluines would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
monchosoad
Jan16-13, 10:29 AM
P: 3
I don't understand why do you need a LPF to do that (i mean, you "can't" do that). If you have a digital signal (the indata sampled at 20hz) just take the important data and throw away the transients. Or you can use a cyclic prefix technique or something like that.
Now, if you need to design a LPF to do another thing, the time constant is well defined in first-order systems (it is defined in superior orders too). The definition depends of the context.
skeptic2
Jan16-13, 10:39 AM
P: 1,784
What is the maximum rate of change of your data?

Register to reply