High pass filter response at high frequencies

In summary: And as berkman mentioned, the peak would be above the -3dB point of the high pass filter.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a passive high pass filter that was built using a hand wound inductor and a resistor. The filter was effective at frequencies ranging from 100 Hz to 1,000,000 Hz, but at very high frequencies (around 5-10 MHz), it began to roll off slightly. The cause of this unwanted behavior is most likely due to the parasitic capacitance of the inductor. The inductor was chosen for its specific impedance and was not tested on a SPICE program. It is recommended to measure the inductor self resonance to better understand the behavior of the filter.
DeldotB
Good day all,

I have a question:

I built a passive high pass filter in an experiment using a hand wound inductor (toriod) and a resistor. The filter worked great as a high pass at frequencys ranging from 100 Hz - 1,000,000 Hz (rolling off around 10,000 Hz). After creating a bode plot, I noticed that at very high frequencies (relative) around 5-10 MHz, the filter began to roll off slightly. What causes this unwanted behavior?

* feel free to be "mathy"

Engineering news on Phys.org
DeldotB said:
Good day all,

I have a question:

I built a passive high pass filter in an experiment using a hand wound inductor (toriod) and a resistor. The filter worked great as a high pass at frequencys ranging from 100 Hz - 1,000,000 Hz (rolling off around 10,000 Hz). After creating a bode plot, I noticed that at very high frequencies (relative) around 5-10 MHz, the filter began to roll off slightly. What causes this unwanted behavior?

* feel free to be "mathy"

Probably parasitic capacitance came into play. Why did you use an LR HPF instead of an RC or LC HPF? Can you post a drawing of your circuit, including any component values you've measured? Do you have access to a SPICE program? We can help you with characterizing the components and modeling them with SPICE... :smile:

Likes DeldotB
berkeman said:
Probably parasitic capacitance came into play. Why did you use an LR HPF instead of an RC or LC HPF? Can you post a drawing of your circuit, including any component values you've measured? Do you have access to a SPICE program? We can help you with characterizing the components and modeling them with SPICE... :smile:
hmm okay, thanks Berkeman! I used a LR HPF becuase part of the experiment was to create an inductor of a specific impedance that when combined with the resistor rolled off values at a specific frequency. I do have a spice program but I didnt run the circuit on it (I didnt feel it necessary - I just calculated by hand what the component values needed to be). I was just curious why this happened.Thanks!

All real inductors have parallel capacitance which will roll off the high frequencies when fed by a series R.

Measure the inductor self resonance. Actually, I expect you saw the high pass peak before it started to rolloff.

meBigGuy said:
All real inductors have parallel capacitance which will roll off the high frequencies when fed by a series R.

Measure the inductor self resonance. Actually, I expect you saw the high pass peak before it started to rolloff.
In other words, no inductor is perfect. You actually get a sort of tuned circuit with the inductor/parasitic capacitance combination. If you sweep the inductor by itself, you should see it.

1. What is a high pass filter?

A high pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows signals with frequencies higher than a certain cutoff frequency to pass through, while attenuating signals with frequencies below the cutoff frequency.

2. How does a high pass filter work?

A high pass filter works by using a combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors to create a voltage divider. At high frequencies, the capacitive reactance is lower than the inductive reactance, allowing more signal to pass through. At low frequencies, the inductive reactance is higher, attenuating the signal.

3. What is the purpose of a high pass filter?

The purpose of a high pass filter is to remove unwanted low frequency signals from a circuit. It is commonly used in audio applications to remove background noise and in communication systems to remove interference.

4. How does a high pass filter response change at high frequencies?

At high frequencies, the output of a high pass filter will approach the input signal level. This means that signals with frequencies above the cutoff frequency will pass through with minimal attenuation. The response of a high pass filter is typically represented by a steep slope on a frequency response graph.

5. What are some common applications of a high pass filter?

High pass filters are commonly used in audio systems, equalizers, and crossover networks. They are also used in communication systems, such as radio and TV broadcasting, to remove unwanted interference. High pass filters can also be found in electronic circuits such as power supplies to remove noise and ripple from the output signal.