Inclined ramp inside an accelerating train

In summary, the question asks for the minimal acceleration of a train that will cause a 4.8 kg mass to slide up a ramp inclined at 12 degrees with a static friction coefficient of 0.24. The approach to solving this problem involves using a free body diagram and setting the net force along y to zero, finding the normal force, and then solving for the acceleration along x. The final result is an acceleration of 4.343 m/s/s.
jul_greenberg
Hello,
I have a question for homework. The question reads:

A body of mass m=4.8 kg is standing on a ramp inclined in an angle of α=12 degrees. The static friction coeficient between the ramp and the body is μ=0.24. The ramp, which is inclined to the left, is in a train, which accelerates to the right. What is the minimal acceleration of the train that will cause the body to slide up the ramp?

I thought that for the box to slide up force greater than Ff+4.8*9.8*sin(12) should be applied by train (..by friction that is). From there acceleration of train with respect to the box can be calculated. However I unable to figure out how calculate the acceleration with respect to earth.
Would appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
jul_greenberg said:
Hello,
I have a question for homework. The question reads:

A body of mass m=4.8 kg is standing on a ramp inclined in an angle of α=12 degrees. The static friction coeficient between the ramp and the body is μ=0.24. The ramp, which is inclined to the left, is in a train, which accelerates to the right. What is the minimal acceleration of the train that will cause the body to slide up the ramp?

I thought that for the box to slide up force greater than Ff+4.8*9.8*sin(12) should be applied by train (..by friction that is). From there acceleration of train with respect to the box can be calculated. However I unable to figure out how calculate the acceleration with respect to earth.
Would appreciate any advice.

just do a free body diagram picturing the situation as seen from outside the train. There will be a normal force, gravity and the static friction force. Since you want to consider the point when it's just about to slide, use the equation for the maximu static friction force with a magnitude [itex] \mu_s N [/itex]. use the fact that the vertical acceleration is zero to find the value of the normal force (along the y direction you will have gravity acting down an dthe y component of the normal force which will involve "N" and the angle of the plane). Then go along the x direction and impose [itex] \sum F_x = m a_x [/itex] to find [itex] a_x [/itex].

Thanks for the response nrqed.

Here is my free body diagram.
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8239/fbdiahr0.jpg

N = mgcos(O) =>
fs = μN = 0.24*4.8*9.81*cos(12) = 11.054 N

Fnet_x = mgsin(12) + 11.054 = 20.844 N

Fnet_x = ma = 20.844

ax = 4.343 m/s/s

I have suspicion that I am not calculating the
Fnet_x correctly. Is the above equation correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
jul_greenberg said:
Thanks for the response nrqed.

Here is my free body diagram.
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8239/fbdiahr0.jpg

N = mgcos(O) =>
fs = μN = 0.24*4.8*9.81*cos(12) = 11.054 N

Fnet_x = mgsin(12) + 11.054 = 20.844 N

Fnet_x = ma = 20.844

ax = 4.343 m/s/s

I have suspicion that I am not calculating the
Fnet_x correctly. Is the above equation correct?

OOPS EDIT: The friction force should be down since the block is just about to slide UP!

Btw I meant by "x" an axis being horizontal.

But the mistake you are doing is to assume that the net force perpendicular to the plane is zero. This is the case when the incline is not accelerating. But it's not the case here because the net force along x is not zero. So you must do it a bit differently than you usually do it with inclined planes.

You must start by setting the net force along y to zero. so it will be (y component of N) - mg =0. From this you can solve for N. Then you go along x and find a_x.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I understand it now.
Thanks again!

jul_greenberg said:
I think I understand it now.
Thanks again!

You are welcome.

Best luck!

What is an inclined ramp inside an accelerating train?

An inclined ramp inside an accelerating train refers to a sloped surface that is placed inside a train that is undergoing acceleration. This ramp allows for objects to be rolled or slid down the slope, allowing for the study of motion and acceleration in a confined environment.

How does the acceleration of the train affect the motion on the ramp?

The acceleration of the train will affect the motion on the ramp by increasing or decreasing the rate at which objects roll or slide down the ramp. As the train accelerates, the slope of the ramp will appear steeper to the objects on the ramp, causing them to accelerate at a faster rate. Conversely, as the train decelerates, the slope will appear less steep, causing objects to decelerate.

What factors can affect the motion on the inclined ramp inside an accelerating train?

The motion on the inclined ramp inside an accelerating train can be affected by various factors, including the rate of acceleration of the train, the angle of the ramp, the mass and shape of the object, and any external forces acting on the objects.

How can the inclined ramp inside an accelerating train be used for scientific experiments?

The inclined ramp inside an accelerating train can be used for experiments to study the effects of acceleration on objects in motion. By adjusting the angle of the ramp and the rate of acceleration of the train, scientists can observe and measure the motion and acceleration of objects on the ramp, providing valuable insights into the laws of motion and gravity.

What are some real-world applications of studying motion on an inclined ramp inside an accelerating train?

Studying motion on an inclined ramp inside an accelerating train can have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It can help in the development and testing of new transportation systems, as well as in understanding the effects of acceleration on objects in various environments.