Treat people the way you want to be treated

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary, the common dictum "treat people the way you want to be treated" does not always work in the real world because people do not always want to be treated the way you want them to.
Imparcticle
The common dictum "treat people the way you want to be treated" asserts that by treating people the way you want to be treated, they will treat you the same way, right?
Suppose a man, J, a ruthless villain is attacking a person, Z, both verbally and physically. J is then treating Z the way he(J) wants to be treated. Should Z treat J the way J wants to be treated then even though Z disagrees with the way J is treating people like Z?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imparcticle said:
Should Z treat J the way J wants to be treated then?
The common dictum be damned? :redface:

Imparcticle said:
The common dictum "treat people the way you want to be treated" asserts that by treating people the way you want to be treated, they will treat you the same way, right?
Not exactly. It's just a simple logical statement "don't expect someone to treat you any better than you treat them"

Imparcticle said:

No, that is not right. It makes no mention of how others will treat you. The Golden Rule is about your personal choices, how YOU react not how others react. It is a simple rule of personal behavior, don't over think it.

Sadly, as a young man I discovered that most attractive young women did not want to do to me what I wanted to do to them.

Njorl

Sadly, as a young man I discovered that most attractive young women did not want to do to me what I wanted to do to them.
Did you do unto them as you would have had them do unto you anyway? :tongue2:

When ugly old women don’t want you either the gig, as they say, is just about up! :biggrin:

The whole point is just to make you empathize with others. Geeze.

What does "Treat people the way you want to be treated" mean?

This phrase, also known as the Golden Rule, means that you should treat others with the same kindness, respect, and fairness that you would want to be treated with. It emphasizes the importance of empathy and treating others as equals.

Where did the Golden Rule originate from?

The Golden Rule has been a principle in many cultures and religions throughout history. It is believed to have originated from the teachings of Confucius in ancient China and was also mentioned in the teachings of Greek philosophers. It can also be found in various religious texts, including the Bible, the Quran, and the teachings of Buddha.

How does following the Golden Rule benefit society?

By treating others the way we want to be treated, we create a more positive and harmonious society. This principle promotes kindness, understanding, and respect, which can lead to stronger relationships and a more compassionate community. It also encourages individuals to consider the impact of their actions on others, promoting a more ethical and empathetic society.

Is the Golden Rule always applicable?

While the Golden Rule is a valuable principle, it may not always apply in certain situations. For example, a person may have different needs, preferences, and boundaries than you do, and treating them the way you would want to be treated may not be the best approach. It is essential to also consider the individual's perspective and needs in addition to your own.

How can we practice the Golden Rule in our daily lives?

There are many ways to apply the Golden Rule in our daily lives, such as showing empathy, being respectful, and treating others with kindness. It can also involve actively listening to others, considering their feelings and needs, and treating everyone with fairness and equality. By consciously practicing the Golden Rule, we can create a more compassionate and understanding society.