Christoffel symbol manipulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the Christoffel symbol and how it can be expressed using the metric components. The question is raised about why the symbol is not commonly expressed as -g^{lj} * partial_j (g_{ki}) if the first two terms in the original equation cancel out. The answer is that the metric components are not constants and therefore the product rule cannot be applied to simplify the expression.
redstone

Homework Statement

If the basic equation for the Christoffel symbol is
[tex]
\Gamma^l_{ki} = \frac{1}{2} g^{lj} (\partial_k g_{ij} + \partial_i g_{jk} - \partial_j g_{ki})
[/tex]
so if you bring multiply the first metric into that equation, won't that turn the first two derivatives into derivatives of a mixed metric
[tex]
\Gamma^l_{ki} = \frac{1}{2} (\partial_k g^{l}_{i} + \partial_i g^{l}_{k} - g^{lj} \partial_j g_{ki})
[/tex]
and then, wouldn't the first two terms go to zero, since they're just the derivative of the kronecker delta, which is constant? If that's correct, why not express the symbol instead as
[tex]
\Gamma^l_{ki} = \frac{1}{2} ( - g^{lj} \partial_j g_{ki})
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Because g^{lj}*partial_k(g_{ij}) is not generally equal to partial_k(g^{lj}*g_{ij})=0. The metric components are not generally constants. Use the product rule on the second expression.

oh, jeez, of course. I feel silly now.
Thanks!

FAQ: Christoffel symbol manipulation

1. What is the purpose of Christoffel symbol manipulation?

The Christoffel symbol is a mathematical tool used in the study of differential geometry. Its manipulation allows scientists to calculate the curvature of a space, which is important in many fields of science such as physics, astronomy, and engineering.

2. How are Christoffel symbols calculated?

Christoffel symbols are calculated using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object used to define the distance between points in a space. The calculation involves taking derivatives of the metric tensor and solving a set of equations.

3. What is the significance of the Christoffel symbol?

The Christoffel symbol provides information about the curvature of a space. It is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

4. Can Christoffel symbols be used in other areas of science?

Yes, Christoffel symbols are not limited to just the field of differential geometry. They can also be used in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and navigation to calculate the shortest paths between points in a space.

5. Are there any limitations to Christoffel symbol manipulation?

One limitation of Christoffel symbol manipulation is that it can become quite complex and time-consuming for spaces with higher dimensions. Additionally, it may not be applicable in non-Euclidean spaces or spaces with singularities.

Back