Christoffel Symbol / Covariant derivative

In summary, the student is struggling to understand a solution provided by their teacher for the problem of proving that \nabla_i V^i is a scalar. They begin by solving for \Gamma^{i}_{ik}, and then use chain rule differentiation and product rule to expand the final expression. They question the appearance of \sqrt{g} and the missing terms \partial q^{i} and V^{k}.
cristina89

Homework Statement

My teacher solved this in class but I'm not understanding some parts of tis solution.

Show that [itex]\nabla_i V^i[/itex] is scalar.

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla_i V^i = \frac{\partial V^{i}}{\partial q^{i}} + \Gamma^{i}_{ik} V^{k}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To start this, I'll solve this [itex]\Gamma^{i}_{ik}[/itex] first.

[itex]\Gamma^{i}_{ik} = \frac{1}{2} g^{il} (\frac{\partial g_{lk}}{\partial q^{i}} + \frac{\partial g_{il}}{\partial q^{k}} - \frac{\partial g_{ki}}{\partial q^{l}}[/itex]

[itex]\Gamma^{i}_{ik} = \frac{1}{2} g^{il} \frac{\partial g_{il}}{\partial q^{k}} = \frac{1}{2g} \frac{\partial g}{\partial q^{k}}[/itex]

[itex]\Gamma^{i}_{ik} = \frac{1}{\sqrt g}\frac{\partial \sqrt{g}}{\partial q^{k}}[/itex]

(THIS PART: how this [itex]\sqrt{g}[/itex] appeared??)

Continuing...

[itex]\nabla_i V^i = \frac{\partial V^{i}}{\partial q^{i}} + \frac{V^{k}}{\sqrt{g}} \frac{\partial \sqrt{g}}{\partial q^{k}}[/itex]

[itex]\nabla_i V^i = \frac{1}{\sqrt g} \partial_i (\sqrt g V^{i})[/itex]

And this last part... What happened to [itex]\partial q^{i}[/itex] and [itex]V^{k}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
take this with a grain of salt as I haven't played with tensors in a while... anyway here I go... I think both these are tricks that can be understood by working back

I think the first part is just normal chain rule differentiation, what is the standard derivative of sqrt(g)?

then try expanding the very last expression using the standard product rule, what do you end up with?

Related to Christoffel Symbol / Covariant derivative

1. What is the Christoffel symbol?

The Christoffel symbol, also known as the connection coefficients, is a mathematical tool used in the study of differential geometry and tensor calculus. It represents the change of a vector along a curved surface or manifold.

2. What is the relationship between the Christoffel symbol and the covariant derivative?

The covariant derivative is a mathematical operation that takes into account the curvature of a manifold, while the Christoffel symbol is used to calculate the covariant derivative. In other words, the Christoffel symbol is a component of the covariant derivative.

3. How is the Christoffel symbol calculated?

The Christoffel symbol is calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of a manifold, and its partial derivatives. The formula for calculating the Christoffel symbol involves the use of the metric tensor and its inverse.

4. What is the significance of the Christoffel symbol in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Christoffel symbol is used to calculate the geodesic equation, which describes the path of a free-falling object in curved spacetime. It is also used in the Einstein field equations, which govern the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravitational fields.

5. How does the Christoffel symbol indicate curvature?

The Christoffel symbol is a measure of how much a vector changes as it moves along a curved surface or manifold. If the Christoffel symbol is nonzero, it indicates that the surface or manifold is curved. The magnitude and direction of the Christoffel symbol can also provide information about the type and degree of curvature.