Which direction does the Earth's permanent magnet point and why?

• Thread starter vsage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the Earth's magnetic field and the confusion surrounding which end is which. It is mentioned that the north end of the Earth's magnetic field is located near the physical north pole and the south end is near the physical south pole. The reason for this is unclear due to the Earth's history of polarity flips. A helpful resource is also provided for further explanation, and it is suggested that the question may not require worrying about past polarity flips.
vsage
This is a prelab question for a lab I'm supposed to do tomorrow but I feel like I'm so baffled at how simple the question is that I'm afraid to put down an answer for fear of misunderstanding the question:

The Earth's field appears as it were produced by a strong permanent magnet embedded in its core and aligned in the north-south direction. But which end is which? Which way do you think the north end of the Earth's permanent magnet points? Why?

From what I understand the north pole of Earth's magnetic field is only a few hundred miles away from the physical north and the south pole is only a few hundred miles away from the physical south. Which "way" the magnet points would be toward the physical south if I understand the correctly. As to "why" I can't even venture a guess because it's my understanding that the Earth has switched polarity plenty of times so I can't really give a definitive answer. Could someone offer a more clear explanation to this? I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the question had to be counterintuitive just by the fact that it was a lab question.

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical force that is created by the movement of electric charges. It is the force that causes magnets to attract or repel each other.

What are the two types of magnets?

The two types of magnets are permanent magnets and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt and have a fixed magnetic field. Electromagnets are made by running an electric current through a wire wrapped around a metal core, creating a temporary magnetic field.

How do magnets attract and repel each other?

Magnets have two poles - a north pole and a south pole. Like poles (north-north or south-south) repel each other, while opposite poles (north-south or south-north) attract each other. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic fields.

What is the difference between magnetic force and gravitational force?

Magnetic force is a force between two magnets or a magnet and a magnetic material, while gravitational force is a force between two masses. Magnetism is caused by the alignment of electric charges, while gravity is caused by the mass of an object.

How can you make a magnet?

You can make a magnet by stroking a piece of iron or steel with a magnet in the same direction. This will align the magnetic domains within the material and create a magnetic field. Another way is by wrapping a wire around a metal core and running an electric current through it, creating an electromagnet.