Horizontal Spring-Mass System with Friction

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a system of five masses connected by springs, where an external force is applied and the goal is to find the acceleration of the system. There is also a discussion about the meaning of N/m in relation to springs and how the masses will initially move at different rates before settling into a steady state with constant acceleration. The conversation also mentions the role of friction in damping the oscillations in the system.
Tzvika
I finished with my first semester of physics in Spring, and I thought that I had understood the unit on springs pretty well; however, today a friend gave me this problem to solve, and I’m drawing such a massive blank, it’s not even funny. I’m so frustrated with this problem.

Homework Statement

The diagram is drawn as follows: there are five masses (from left to right: M1, M2, M3, M4, M5) connected to each other by springs, resting on a horizontal surface. M1 = 2kg, M2 = 2kg, M3 = 3kg, M4 = 3kg, M5 = 5kg. Between M1 & M2, the speed of the force is 100 N/m; between M2 & M3, the speed of the force is 200 N/m; between M3 & M4, the speed is 200 N/m; between M4 & M5, the speed is 200 N/m. The force is being applied to M5 [furthest right], direction left.

The problem:
An external force of magnitude 90 N is applied to a system of blocks connected by springs. After some time the system will move as a whole with constant acceleration. Find this acceleration. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface & the blocks is mu-kinetic = 0.1...

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma = 0
Ffriction = mu*Fnormal = mu*abs(Fgrav)
Fspring = -kx, where x = displacement of spring from equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

What does N/m mean with regards to springs? Is that how much force is transferred to the block next in line in the spring-mass system? Am I to use that relationship to find out what x is? But I don’t even know k. Do I? I’m setting the origin at M5, with the left direction as negative.

If I’m pushing on M5, the horizontal net force is Fnet-horizontal = -90 N + Ffriction = -90 N + mu*abs(Fgravity) = -90 N + 0.1*abs(5*-9.8) = -85.1 N

So then what? Substitute -85.1 N into the relationship 200 N/m to solve for m? If I do, I end up with -0.4225 m. Then, using -85.1 N and -0.4225 m, do I substitute that into find the value of the spring constant? Because it doesn’t look right at all. I come up with k being 201.4 ...

But why am I even finding the spring constant? I feel like I’m sort of really lost, and like I don’t understand springs at all. @_@;; I looked through my book, and again, massive blank.

Attachments

• Spring Mass Diagram.JPG
    Spring Mass Diagram.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think is meant by the statement, "After some time the system will move as a whole with constant acceleration"? Why "after some time"? What might happen during that time?

Wow, I’m an idiot. a isn’t zero. Constant.

Ok, so before that point in time when a becomes constant and the blocks are changing speed at a constant rate, the masses are changing speed at different rates from one another, meaning the horizontal force on each block is different?

It would take some time because the blocks are separate and would not immediately feel the entirety of the force?

Tzvika said:
Wow, I’m an idiot. a isn’t zero. Constant.

Ok, so before that point in time when a becomes constant and the blocks are changing speed at a constant rate, the masses are changing speed at different rates from one another, meaning the horizontal force on each block is different?

It would take some time because the blocks are separate and would not immediately feel the entirety of the force?

That's more or less it. When the force is first applied there will be an impulse that will travel through the spring/mass system, setting up various oscillations. But note that there is friction involved (damping). So after some time you can expect the oscillations to die down, and the system will settle into a steady state with each spring compressed according to its spring constant and the net force acting on it. How would you determine the acceleration of the ensemble after that time?

I can understand your frustration with this problem. Springs can be tricky and it's important to have a solid understanding of their properties and equations before attempting to solve problems like this. Let's break down the problem and see if we can work through it together.

First, let's start with the concept of N/m. This represents the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. In this case, we have different spring constants for each spring between the masses. This means that each spring will have a different amount of force acting on it, depending on the displacement from equilibrium.

Next, let's look at the forces acting on the system. We have an external force of 90 N being applied to M5, and we also have the force of friction acting in the opposite direction. We can use the equation Fnet = ma to find the acceleration of the system. Since the system is moving as a whole, we can treat it as one mass and use the total mass of all the masses (15 kg) in our calculations.

Now, let's consider the forces acting on each individual mass. Since the system is moving with constant acceleration, we know that the net force on each mass must also be constant. This means that the sum of the forces acting on each mass must equal the net force of the system (90 N). We can use this information to set up equations for each mass, using the equations for spring force and friction force.

For example, for M5, we can write the equation: Fspring - Ffriction = ma, where Fspring is the force acting on M5 due to the spring between M4 and M5, and Ffriction is the force of friction acting on M5. We can then substitute in the known values for the spring constant, displacement, and friction force to solve for the acceleration of the system.

We can repeat this process for each mass, using the appropriate spring constant and displacement for each spring. Once we have the acceleration of the system, we can use the equation Fnet = ma to find the net force acting on each mass, and then use that information to solve for the spring constant for each spring.

I hope this helps in your understanding of this problem. It's important to remember that solving physics problems takes practice and patience, and it's okay to feel frustrated at times. Keep working at it and don't be afraid to ask for help from your professor or classmates

1. What is a horizontal spring-mass system with friction?

A horizontal spring-mass system with friction is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a horizontal spring and placed on a frictional surface. The mass is able to move horizontally due to the force exerted by the spring, and the frictional force from the surface acts in the opposite direction, causing the mass to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a horizontal spring-mass system?

Friction plays a crucial role in the motion of a horizontal spring-mass system. It acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the mass, causing it to slow down and eventually stop. This frictional force also dissipates energy, leading to a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations of the mass-spring system.

3. What is the equation of motion for a horizontal spring-mass system with friction?

The equation of motion for a horizontal spring-mass system with friction is: F = -kx - μmg, where F is the net force on the mass, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position, μ is the coefficient of friction, and mg is the weight of the mass.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of a horizontal spring-mass system?

The coefficient of friction has a significant impact on the motion of a horizontal spring-mass system. A higher coefficient of friction leads to a stronger frictional force, which causes the mass to slow down and come to a stop faster. This results in a shorter period of oscillation and a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations.

5. What factors affect the period of oscillation of a horizontal spring-mass system with friction?

The period of oscillation of a horizontal spring-mass system with friction is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the coefficient of friction. A higher mass or a higher coefficient of friction will result in a shorter period of oscillation, while a higher spring constant will result in a longer period of oscillation.