Future Astrophysicist: From Questbridge Scholar to Top Grad Schools and Beyond

• Thread starter whyme1010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the speaker is a high school senior from New York City who was accepted into the University of Chicago through a scholarship program. They plan to major in physics with a concentration in astrophysics and are interested in becoming a professor at a top 20 school. They are currently worried about paying for graduate school but are reassured that most schools offer financial assistance. The speaker is also aware of the limited job opportunities in academia and is open to exploring other career paths in the field of physics.
whyme1010
I'm a high school senior in New York City who got into the University of Chicago through Questbridge- a scholarship program. It pays for everything- dorms, tuition, insurance, travel, etc.

I want to major in physics with a concentration in astrophysics. I'm pretty certain its what I want to do with my life. Currently I am really poor- my parents make under 20k a year. To me, the life of a physicist is a huge improvement financially anyway, so I am really into it for the fun of it.

I'm worried about paying for grad school- I know its really early, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for scholarships now.

Also, I'm wondering what kind of grad schools I'd have to get into and what GPA I'll need to pull in order to get a good shot at becoming a professor at one of the top 20 schools in physics.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
whyme1010 said:
II'm worried about paying for grad school- I know its really early, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for scholarships now.

Don't worry too much. Most graduate schools will give you financial assistance in the form of TA/RA-ships.

Also, I'm wondering what kind of grad schools I'd have to get into and what GPA I'll need to pull in order to get a good shot at becoming a professor at one of the top 20 schools in physics.

It doesn't work this way. There are so many Ph.D.'s, and so few professorships that it's extremely likely that you won't get one no matter how good you are. The good news is that there are lots of jobs outside the professorship that are worth looking at.

One thing that's cool about physics is that there is a good chance that what you end up doing is a job that hasn't been invented yet.

1. What is an astrophysicist?

An astrophysicist is a scientist who studies the physical properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in outer space, such as stars, galaxies, and planets. They use mathematical and scientific principles to better understand the universe and its origins.

2. What do astrophysicists research?

Astrophysicists research a wide range of topics, including the formation and evolution of the universe, the structure and composition of planets and stars, and the behavior of objects like black holes and dark matter. They also study the interactions between celestial bodies and the laws of physics that govern them.

3. What skills are necessary to become an astrophysicist?

To become an astrophysicist, you will need a strong background in mathematics, physics, and astronomy. You will also need excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work well with others and communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. What are some potential career paths for an astrophysicist?

There are many different career paths for astrophysicists, including working in research and academia, as well as in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and data analysis. Many astrophysicists also work for government agencies like NASA or the National Science Foundation.

5. What can we learn from studying the future as an astrophysicist?

Studying the future as an astrophysicist can provide valuable insights into the evolution of the universe and the behavior of celestial bodies. It can also help us better understand our own planet and its place in the larger cosmos. Additionally, research in this field can lead to technological advancements and innovations that benefit society as a whole.