Britain aims to lead on nuclear energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for Britain to lead in nuclear energy despite past challenges and controversies. The idea of "leading the way" is questioned, considering France currently has a higher percentage of nuclear energy in their budget. However, the conversation also acknowledges the need to move away from fossil fuels and the potential for renewable and nuclear energy to play a role in this shift. The conversation also delves into the challenges and numbers involved in relying solely on renewable energy to meet the UK's energy needs. Finally, there is a request to keep the conversation on topic and focused on the article's main point of the UK's potential to lead in nuclear investment.
Kobbaen
What do you think?

http://www.aftenbladet.no/energi/aenergy/Britain-aims-to-lead-on-nuclear-energy-2989235.html

Physics news on Phys.org
As a Briton I'm skeptical. We've had decades of dithering over our nuclear policy with endless NIMBY arguments and AFAIK we've been dimishing our nuclear power over the last decade or so. Only recently I thought I heard that a series of deals for energy firms bidding to construct nuclear reactors collapsed.

Coupled with the fact that in France nuclear accounts for 3-4 times more of their energy budget and the phrase "lead the way" begins to look like so much spin.

Having said that I do support increasing nuclear power in the UK, especially next generation designs. I'm hopeful that the UK can move away from fossil fuels over the next several decades as we have ample capacity for renewable and nuclear energy.

Just remind planners not to put nuclear power plants at sea level...not a good idea.

After Japan's experience, I was surprised when I passed oneby boat in the Chesapeake Bay...right at the water's edge...although not geologically active, still not a good idea!

Ryan_m_b said:
in the UK, ... we have ample capacity for renewable ...
Ample? Apparently the UK has an average electric load of ~40 GWe, and a total, all uses, primary energy consumption rate of ~300 GW. Current the UK has about 6 GWe (peak) of wind installed. Are their some figures to show how the UK gets there on just renewables?

Naty1 said:
Just remind planners not to put nuclear power plants at sea level...not a good idea.

After Japan's experience, I was surprised when I passed oneby boat in the Chesapeake Bay...right at the water's edge...although not geologically active, still not a good idea!

Not if it is adequately planned for. Some generators in a hardened shelter (tsunami proof) with underground power transmission lines might have averted the total power loss.

Ample? Apparently the UK has an average electric load of ~40 GW, and a total, all uses, primary energy consumption rate of 302 GW. Are their some figures to show how the UK gets there on just renewables?

According to this, you would need to blanket all of Wales in wind farms in order to get 1/6 of the UK's energy needs.

aquitaine said:
Not if it is adequately planned for. Some generators in a hardened shelter (tsunami proof) with underground power transmission lines might have averted the total power loss.According to this, you would need to blanket all of Wales in wind farms in order to get 1/6 of the UK's energy needs.
McCay's referring to supplying *all* energy needs there, including air travel, heating, food, etc and not just the electric load. Electric powered air travel is a bit in the future yet.

Clearly much future wind installation will be off shore in the UK. Still, a minimum of 60,000 2MW offshore wind turbines would be needed to supply the UK electric load, and that's without addressing the backup needed for wind outages.

Last edited:
mheslep said:
McCay's referring to supplying *all* energy needs there, including air travel, heating, food, etc and not just the electric load. Electric powered air travel is a bit in the future yet.
Yeah. We are still working on the extension cord problem!

Clearly much future wind installation will be off shore in the UK. Still, a minimum of 60,000 2MW offshore wind turbines would be needed to supply the UK electric load, and that's without addressing the backup needed for wind outages.

OT posts deleted. Please keep it on topic, guys. The title of the article is a somewhat clumsy paraphrase/truncation. The quote it was based on is about the UK leading in nuclear investment. In other words, to be building more than anyone else -- not to have more capacity (either absolute or in %).

Related to Britain aims to lead on nuclear energy

1. What is the goal of Britain in regards to nuclear energy?

Britain aims to become a leader in nuclear energy by investing in and developing new nuclear power plants.

2. How does Britain plan to achieve this goal?

Britain plans to invest in new nuclear power plants, research and development, and collaborate with other countries and companies in the nuclear energy industry.

3. What are the benefits of Britain leading in nuclear energy?

The benefits of Britain leading in nuclear energy include reducing carbon emissions, increasing energy security and independence, and creating new job opportunities in the nuclear energy sector.

4. What challenges does Britain face in reaching this goal?

Some of the challenges Britain faces in reaching this goal include high costs of building and maintaining nuclear power plants, public concerns about nuclear safety, and the need for proper waste management and disposal.

5. Is Britain currently a leader in nuclear energy?

While Britain has a long history in nuclear energy, it is not currently considered a leader in the industry. However, with its plans for investment and development, it aims to become a leader in the future.