Kinematics: Throwing ball up the building with unknown initial velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a ball is thrown upward from the top of a 65m building and then falls back down, hitting the ground in 4 seconds. The individuals involved are trying to determine the initial velocity when the ball was thrown, the highest height the ball reaches, and the time at which the ball returns to the thrower. They discuss using kinematic equations and splitting the problem into symmetric and asymmetric projectile motion parts. Suggestions are made to consider the velocity of the ball as it passes the thrower on the way down and to set up equations for a parabolic arc.
corporateflea

Homework Statement

At the top of the building that's 65m high, a guy throws a ball upward.
The ball comes back down and hits the ground in 4 seconds.

A)What is the initial velocity when the guy threw the ball?

B)What is the highest height of the ball?

C)At what time does the ball comes back to him?I'm just stumped how the hell I can start off even...

There was a homework problem very similar to this but it gave initial velocity..this problem doesn't and I don't know how to start...

Any advice would be fantastic..

(This was my first physics quiz...is it even possible to solve this?!?)

Please help...

Homework Equations

all the kinematic equations..

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't...can't even start with A

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be possible. Think about splitting this problem up into a symmetric projectile motion part and an asymmetric projectile motion part (i.e. up and down are not equal). What do you know about the velocity of the ball as it passes the guy on the way down? (assuming no air resistance)

gamer_x_ said:
It should be possible. Think about splitting this problem up into a symmetric projectile motion part and an asymmetric projectile motion part (i.e. up and down are not equal). What do you know about the velocity of the ball as it passes the guy on the way down? (assuming no air resistance)

I tried exactly that...but no avail...

Well you can say when the ball reaches the top...and starts to fall you can do the following..

Initial V= 0 m/s
A= -10m/s/s
but that's it..

Still t and delta x are unknown...

you can say that, but you can also say something when the ball reaches the side of the building going downward. remember that if it's allowed to travel the same distance up as it was down, the velocity going down will be directly related to the initial velocity going up.

Perhaps you should set up your equations for a parabolic arc for a ball with an initial velocity v_i going up and coming down to the same height. What is final velocity before it hits the ground (at that height)?

gamer_x_ said:
you can say that, but you can also say something when the ball reaches the side of the building going downward. remember that if it's allowed to travel the same distance up as it was down, the velocity going down will be directly related to the initial velocity going up.

Perhaps you should set up your equations for a parabolic arc for a ball with an initial velocity v_i going up and coming down to the same height. What is final velocity before it hits the ground (at that height)?

So how do I go about solving the initial v?

Any step by step advice?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the equation for finding the initial velocity of a ball thrown up a building?

The equation for finding the initial velocity of a ball thrown up a building is v0 = √(vf2 - 2gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity (which is 0 when the ball reaches its highest point), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the building.

3. How does the height of the building affect the time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point?

The height of the building does not affect the time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point, as long as there is no air resistance. The time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point is only dependent on the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Is the initial velocity of the ball the same as its final velocity when it reaches the ground?

No, the initial velocity and final velocity are not the same when the ball reaches the ground. The initial velocity is the velocity with which the ball is thrown up the building, while the final velocity is the velocity of the ball just before it hits the ground. The final velocity is usually greater than the initial velocity due to the acceleration of gravity.

5. What are the units of measurement for the initial velocity in the equation?

The units of measurement for the initial velocity in the equation are meters per second (m/s).