Water in the Bucket: Free Body Diagram? (Vertical Centripetal Force)

In summary, the free body diagram of the water in the bucket at the top position would include two forces: gravity pulling downward and contact force with the bucket pushing towards the center of the circle. The direction of both forces would be downward. Additionally, there may also be a tension force in the rope, but this is not certain.
sarvashreshth
Water in the Bucket: Free Body Diagram?? (Vertical Centripetal Force)

Homework Statement

If a bucket tied to a rope is revolving vertically in an counter clockwise direction, what would be the Free Body Diagram of "water" in the bucket at the top position?

Homework Equations

There are no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing there would be two forces: gravitational pointing downward and contact force with the bucket pointing in the direction opposite to the motion of the bucket so that would be left if the bucket is going counter clockwise vertically. Are there any more forces on water inside the bucket at the top position and am I right about the direction of the two forces.

Physics news on Phys.org

There are three forces I can think of off the top of my head. The question doesn't get to specific so it could be 2 or 3 forces and so on.

Gravity
Centripetal Force
Tension Force in the rope

The tension one is a most likely but there could not be one. I'll leave you to figure out the rest.

Yes you're right, there is gravity pulling vertically down, and there are contact forces with the bucket. But since the bucket feels centripetal force into the circle, the water will be overall pushed towards the centre of the circle by the walls of the bucket, hence the water feels a centripetal force.

At the 'top' position then, both forces would be acting downwards.

Hope that helps

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is commonly used in physics to analyze the motion of an object and determine its net force.

2. How does water in a bucket affect the free body diagram?

The water in a bucket adds an additional force, the weight of the water, to the free body diagram. This weight is typically directed downwards and can affect the overall balance of forces on the object.

3. What is vertical centripetal force?

Vertical centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

4. How is vertical centripetal force related to water in a bucket?

The water in a bucket can create a vertical centripetal force when the bucket is swung in a circular motion. The weight of the water can act as the centripetal force, causing the bucket to move in a circle.

5. How does the amount of water in the bucket affect the free body diagram?

The amount of water in the bucket can affect the free body diagram by changing the weight of the bucket and the location of its center of mass. This can ultimately affect the balance of forces on the object and its motion.