Calculating Probability for Selecting Tanks with Specific Characteristics

In summary, Permutation is the act of arranging objects or values in a specific order, while combination is the act of selecting objects or values without considering the order in which they are chosen. The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen. The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!). Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various real-life situations such as probability, counting methods, and genetics, among others. Permutation with repetition allows for the same object or value to be chosen more than once, while combination with repetition does not allow for
kschong
For this question, i already solve the part a and part b. For the part c, i try to solve it but i can't get the answer that given. Can someone explain to me? How to do the part c. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00386.jpg
    DSC00386.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kschong! :wink:

So there's 24 tanks, of which 6 are high viscosity, add 4 are high impurity: what is the probability that 4 tanks chosen at random include exactly one of each?

Show us your full calculations, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help. :smile:

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation is the act of arranging objects or values in a specific order, while combination is the act of selecting objects or values without considering the order in which they are chosen.

2. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations or combinations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen. The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!).

3. Can permutations and combinations be used in real-life situations?

Yes, permutations and combinations are used in various real-life situations such as probability, counting methods, and genetics, among others.

4. What is the difference between a permutation with repetition and a combination with repetition?

Permutation with repetition allows for the same object or value to be chosen more than once, while combination with repetition does not allow for repetition.

5. How can I use permutations and combinations to solve problems?

Permutations and combinations can be used to solve problems involving counting, probability, and arranging or selecting objects or values in a specific way. They can also be used to solve problems in genetics, finance, and other fields.