Why alkanes are said to be saturated

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
In summary, during a chemistry quiz, the person answering a question about alkane being saturated by stating that only substitution reactions can occur, but was surprised when it did not score. They are seeking clarification and have provided a link that explains alkane being called saturated due to having a hydrogen in every possible location. The person is not completely sure if this is the correct justification.
recon
In my chemistry class today, the teacher gave us a quiz. There was this one question that asked why alkane is said to be saturated. My answer was that only substitution reactions can take place and not additional reactions. I found it surprising that it did not score at all. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Thanks,
From the person who is too shy to talk to the teacher

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a link that might answer your question:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/organic/alkane.html

To quote:

They are called saturated hydrocarbons because there is a hydrogen in every possible location.

I haven't taken Chem for a long time now, so I'm not 100% sure if that's the correct justification, but I *think* it is.

Your answer was correct, so it is possible that there was a mistake in the grading of your quiz or that the question was poorly worded. Alkanes are indeed considered saturated because they contain the maximum number of hydrogen atoms bonded to each carbon atom. This means that there are no additional bonds available for other atoms to attach to, making them unable to undergo addition reactions. It is important to discuss this with your teacher to clarify any confusion and ensure that your quiz grade accurately reflects your understanding. Don't be shy - asking questions and seeking clarification is an important part of learning.

Related to Why alkanes are said to be saturated

1. What does it mean for an alkane to be saturated?

When we say that an alkane is saturated, it means that all of its carbon atoms are bonded to the maximum number of hydrogen atoms. This results in a single bond between each carbon atom, giving the molecule a relatively stable and "full" structure.

2. How does the saturation of alkanes affect their reactivity?

Alkanes are considered to be relatively unreactive due to their saturated structure. The single bonds between carbon atoms make it difficult for other molecules to break into the structure and form new bonds. This is why alkanes are often used as fuels, as they are less likely to undergo chemical reactions.

3. What is the difference between saturated and unsaturated alkanes?

Saturated alkanes have single bonds between all carbon atoms, while unsaturated alkanes have at least one double or triple bond between carbon atoms. This makes unsaturated alkanes more reactive, as the double or triple bonds can easily be broken and new bonds can be formed.

4. How does the size of an alkane molecule affect its saturation?

As the size of an alkane molecule increases, the number of carbon atoms also increases. This means that there are more opportunities for the carbon atoms to form single bonds with hydrogen atoms, resulting in a more saturated structure.

5. How can we determine if an organic compound is saturated or unsaturated?

The saturation of an organic compound can be determined by analyzing its molecular formula and structure. A compound with the general formula CnH2n+2 is considered to be saturated, while a compound with the general formula CnH2n is considered to be unsaturated. Additionally, the presence of double or triple bonds in the structure can also indicate unsaturation.